404 generating vapid for web notifications

I am trying to setup push notifications for web. I found this document (https://github.com/expo/expo/blob/master/docs/pages/versions/unversioned/guides/using-vapid.md) saying that I needed to generate a vapid so I run this command EXPO_DEBUG=true npx expo-cli push:web:generate --vapid-subject

and I get a request failed with status code 404. I also tried using a mailto link, but same result.

Expo CLI 3.13.1 environment info:
System:
Shell: 5.7.1 - /bin/zsh
Binaries:
Node: 10.18.1 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v10.18.1/bin/node
Yarn: 1.21.1 - /usr/local/bin/yarn
npm: 6.13.4 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v10.18.1/bin/npm
IDEs:
Android Studio: 3.5 AI-191.8026.42.35.6010548
Xcode: 11.3.1/11C504 - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
npmPackages:
storybook/react: ^5.2.8 => 5.3.1
types/react: ^16.9.17 => 16.9.17
types/react-native: ^0.60.26 => 0.60.30
xstate/react: ^0.8.1 => 0.8.1
expo: ^36.0.2 => 36.0.2
react: ^16.12.0 => 16.12.0
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-36.0.0.tar.gz => 0.61.4
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 3.13.1

having the same problem here, would love to see a solution!

$ EXPO_DEBUG=true expo push:web:generate --vapid-subject "mailto:myemail@mydomain.com"
┌──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
│                                                                                                                                          │
│   There is a new version of expo-cli available (3.13.6).                                                                                 │
│   You are currently using expo-cli 3.11.7                                                                                                │
│   Install expo-cli globally using the package manager of your choice; for example: `npm install -g expo-cli` to get the latest version   │
│                                                                                                                                          │
└──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘
Reading project configuration...
Logging in...
Generating and setting VAPID keys on Expo's servers...
Request failed with status code 404
Error: Request failed with status code 404
    at createError (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/expo-cli/node_modules/axios/lib/core/createError.js:16:15)
    at settle (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/expo-cli/node_modules/axios/lib/core/settle.js:17:12)
    at IncomingMessage.handleStreamEnd (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/expo-cli/node_modules/axios/lib/adapters/http.js:237:11)
    at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:215:7)
    at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1184:12)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:80:21)

Update, according to Evan Bacon the docs were published before the feature was written.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.