Android 8.0 Upgrade from Expo SDK 26

Hi, I have a detached Expo app using SDK 26. As I had to white label the app Google is forcing me to use targetSdkVersion 26 but I’m on 25.

I want to know if I can upgrade my targetSdkVersion to 26 without having to upgrade to Expo SDK 28 which supports targetSdkVersion 26 as described here: Expo SDK v28.0.0 is now available | by Brent Vatne | Exposition

I want to make the minimal amount of changes to upgrade the targetSdkVersion to 26. Can I do this and if so how or do I have to upgrade Expo? I will eventually upgrade expo but due to a tight timeline I want to keep things minimal.

Hi @darkwata - if you don’t use local or push notifications at all, you can try just updating the targetSdkVersion directly in your android/app/build.gradle file. Note, however, that you’ll need to manually add the adaptive icons files if you want to support them (see Adaptive icons  |  Android Developers) and you may run into build errors which may require you to upgrade other dependencies, so you’re kind of on your own if you decide to try this! It might be really easy, but I can’t say for sure.

It may be quicker to just upgrade to SDK 28 – there are few, if any, breaking JS changes between these two versions. The only tricky thing is if you want to add support for bundled assets (which arrived in SDK 27) you need to follow these one-time instructions in addition to the normal expokit instructions. You’ll also still need to add the adaptive icons files if you want them. Let us know if you decide to go this route and have any problems or questions.

Hope this helps!!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.