Android Build Errored in Step 5 (Running Gradle)

Hi my Android expo build is erroring out in Step 5 (Running Gradle). This error is coming when I build using APK.

Specifically, it stops at the app:singReleaseBundle task.

Task :app:signReleaseBundle FAILED

[stderr]

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

[stderr]

* What went wrong:

[stderr]

Execution failed for task ':app:signReleaseBundle'.

[stderr]

> A failure occurred while executing com.android.build.gradle.internal.tasks.Workers$ActionFacade

[stderr]

> Failed to read key XXXXXXX= from store "/tmp/turtle/keystore-XXXXXXX.jks": Invalid keystore format

[stderr]

* Try:

[stderr]

Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

[stderr]

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

[stderr]

BUILD FAILED in 4m 40s
32 actionable tasks: 32 executed
Error: ./gradlew exited with non-zero code: 1
    at ChildProcess.completionListener (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/node_modules/@expo/spawn-async/build/spawnAsync.js:52:23)
    at Object.onceWrapper (events.js:418:26)
    at ChildProcess.emit (events.js:311:20)
    at ChildProcess.EventEmitter.emit (domain.js:482:12)
    at maybeClose (internal/child_process.js:1021:16)
    at Process.ChildProcess._handle.onexit (internal/child_process.js:286:5)
    at spawnAsync (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/node_modules/@expo/spawn-async/build/spawnAsync.js:17:21)
    at spawnAsyncThrowError (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/build/detach/ExponentTools.js:190:45)
    at buildShellAppAsync (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/build/detach/AndroidShellApp.js:912:11)
    at async Object.createAndroidShellAppAsync (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/build/detach/AndroidShellApp.js:406:5)
    at async runShellAppBuilder (/app/turtle/build/builders/android.js:83:9)
    at async Object.buildAndroid [as android] (/app/turtle/build/builders/android.js:31:28)
    at async build (/app/turtle/build/jobManager.js:158:24)
    at async processJob (/app/turtle/build/jobManager.js:103:32)
    at async Object.doJob (/app/turtle/build/jobManager.js:35:5)
    at async main (/app/turtle/build/server.js:44:13)

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to resolve this error?

Your keystore might be malformed or in a wrong format.

How did you generate your keystore?
The most common problem I have seen was not using option -storetype JKS when generating it with keytool which in some cases generates keystore in pkcs format instead of jks. Your file is named .jks but it’s .p12 file

Use keytool -list -keystore <keystore.jks> to verify if I’m correct and if that is the case use keytool -importkeystore to convert from pkcs to jks.

Before you do anything backup keystore and passwords somewhere.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.