Android build issues on Windows 10

Trying to start up app in expo on android device and running into a couple issues. I started expo cli before my build and the build is completed successfully on my machine.
This is one of the errors I’m getting on the device from expo:`
“Could not load app. Are you sure XDE or exp is running?”

This is the other that I’m getting from expo in the console:

Error: EPERM: operation not permitted, lstat 'C:\Users\afron\Desktop\Access Explorer\Doplorer\Dora\android\app\build\generated\res\google-services\debug\values\values.xml'
Emitted 'error' event at: 
at NodeWatcher.<anonymous> (C:\Users\afron\Desktop\Access Explorer\Dora\node_modules\sane\src\node_watcher.js:291:16)
at callback (C:\Users\afron\Desktop\Access Explorer\Dora\node_modules\graceful-fs\polyfills.js:295:20)
at FSReqWrap.oncomplete (fs.js:153:21)

Hey @jdbrya07,

Can you share your app.json? It’s concerning that your getting an error message that mentions XDE and exp as both have long since been replaced and are no longer supported.

Cheers,
Adam

1 Like
{
  "expo": {
    "name": "Dora",
    "slug": "dora",
    "privacy": "unlisted",
    "sdkVersion": "34.0.0",
    "platforms": [
      "ios",
      "android",
      "web"
    ],
    "version": "0.0.1",
    "orientation": "portrait",
    "icon": "./assets/icon.png",
    "splash": {
      "image": "./assets/splash.png",
      "resizeMode": "contain",
      "backgroundColor": "#ffffff"
    },
    "updates": {
      "fallbackToCacheTimeout": 0
    },
    "assetBundlePatterns": [
      "**/*"
    ],
    "ios": {
      "supportsTablet": true,
      "bundleIdentifier": "net.dora",
      "publishBundlePath": "ios/dora/Supporting/shell-app.bundle",
      "publishManifestPath": "ios/dora/Supporting/shell-app-manifest.json"
    },
    "isDetached": true,
    "detach": {
      "iosExpoViewUrl": "https://s3.amazonaws.com/exp-exponent-view-code/ios-v2.12.4-sdk34.0.0-ee3e7450-9ec2-4836-8c8c-335483e62917.tar.gz",
      "androidExpoViewUrl": "https://s3.amazonaws.com/exp-exponent-view-code/android-v2.12.2-sdk34.0.0-767c7d3b-87b6-4f80-a9af-92ce67e2a49d.tar.gz"
    },
    "scheme": "expd45abfeac15941019a3877ea116a0d6b",
    "android": {
      "package": "net.dora",
      "publishBundlePath": "android/app/src/main/assets/shell-app.bundle",
      "publishManifestPath": "android/app/src/main/assets/shell-app-manifest.json"
    }
  }
}

Here is the app.json

I was just going to point out that the “XDE or exp” error was a red herring and that “current” versions of the expo code include it, but I see that it was fixed earlier today :slight_smile:

https://github.com/expo/expo/commit/bd1cb322b586bd5911e73a98d57edbf61f0b6a1d

@jdbrya07, the EPERM error is basically saying that Windows is blocking access to that file. This could happen because of permissions problems but it’s more likely (I think) that something is locking the file. This sort of thing is sometimes caused by antivirus, but it could be other things. In a Google search for “windows eperm lstat” I have seen people blaming VS Code as well. Of course anything that locks files that Expo is trying to access could cause this problem.