Android FCM Unregistered on my own device during testing

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 37.0.0
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android(issue), iOS(fine)

Hello,

So i’m having trouble with android notifications using FCM and expo push tokens. I am using my own device so i know i have the app on my phone. So the responses from other posts have not given me an answer. I followed the instructions of uploading my FCM key to expo and push notifications work on my wife’s iPhone. however on my personal Android device i get an expo key but when I attempt on either my node server or on expo’s push notification tool to try and send the notification I get the device not registered error. I updated to the most recent version of the expo SDK and followed all instruction however I can not for the life of me understand why the expoPushToken is being kicked back as not registered. It’s my own device I allow push notifications from the expo app.

My only theory is that the app has not been published to the Play store and as such is not recognized by Firebase. The application is also being simulated by the expo app and is not technically the android application registered to firebase. Could this also be the problem? This is the last stage in my application and after which the app will be ready to publish however push notifications are a large part of the app and I would like some confidence that they will work.

Can anyone confirm they have been able to test push notification on a non google play published expo application using expo start and run on android physical device? I just need to know if there is something wrong with my code or if this is expected behavior. Thanks.

I wanted to post on here that I figured something out. I’m not finished with my testing however here’s what I found. I published the application to expo.io and then from my phone (after reinstalling expo) i downloaded the most recent version of Expo client (2.15.1) i then using my camera scanned the qr code from the expo.io profile page. this expoPushToken seemed to be valid. It’s possible that running expo from the metro bundler may not give a valid expo token. I’ll post if I’m able to confirm.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.