[Android] Handle Alpha, Beta and Production Build (API/Release Channel)

Hi,

I’m currently having a build in Alpha test in a specific Release Channel - staging.
I’d like to create a Beta test with another build. So i did create another Release Channel - production.

My staging channel is using an APK with versionCode 3. And my production channel is using an APK with versionCode 4.

According to the Android specification,

Alpha testing group users are eligible for the alpha or production version of your app with the highest version code that’s compatible with their device. For alpha testing group users to be eligible for the beta version of your app:

The beta version must have a higher version code than the alpha version, and
Alpha users must be explicitly listed as beta testers (or the test must be an open beta)
Beta testing group users are only eligible for the beta or production version of your app with the highest version code that’s compatible with their device.

This means your alpha APKs should have the highest version codes, followed by beta, and finally production.

If a beta APK is uploaded with a higher version code than an alpha APK, alpha users who can install both will install the beta APK instead of the alpha APK.
If a production APK is uploaded with a higher version code than an alpha or beta APK, some or all of your alpha and beta users will install the production APK, instead of APKs of the testing tracks.
Internal testers are eligible for the internal test or production version of your app only (with the highest version code that’s compatible with their device).

I want my alpha users to use the Staging API and my Beta User the Production API.

How could i do this if my APKs should be the same (should use the same versionCode)

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.