App crash immediately on startup

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 34
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): ios13+

Our apps are hosted, we use Expo:build, upload IPA/APKs to the stores, and use Publish to push OTA updates to our users. We’re currently testing v36, but as it stands, I’ve got a ton of users who are struggling to use our iOS apps. Open the app, splash screen, immediately crash—no time for Sentry to pick up errors or for OTA updates to download. It’s kind of crazy actually, the splash screen barely loads before the app disappears. Our fallbackToCacheTimeout is set to 0 and we have an async running that checks for updates ON_ERROR_RECOVERY, yet none of that seems to help these users.

What’s really confusing is that we have the app running perfectly on a variety of devices, from a brand new 12.9" ipad pro with 13.2.2, an iPhone X with 13.3, a Samsung Galaxy 7 with 8.0, even an iPad mini V2 running 12.4.3. My hypothesis is that Expo leaves something on the phone, deep within the cracks of iOS, and some user installs conflict with it while others do not. Not sure how feasible that is but I can’t think of anything else. I’ve asked users to uninstall/reinstall and watched the app crash only to do the exact same thing on my device which runs the same version of iOS and have it run fine.

As I said, we’re testing v36 but we’re trying to figure out if it’s an SDK thing or not. @notbrent says that SDK34 doesn’t support ios13 yet the v34 blog post says otherwise: Expo SDK 34 is now available. Expo SDK v34.0.0 is out today and is… | by Eric Samelson | Exposition.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.