Are you sure the packager is running and reachable?

Can’t generate a QR code from the command line on Mac OS.

This is the error :
Could not access packager status at ht tp://localhost:19003/status. Are you sure the packager is running and reachable?

I have switched on the debug flag and get the following :

[09:34:56] Using project at /Users/davidburbage/exp/myapp3
[09:35:01] Starting Metro Bundler on port 19003.
[09:35:01] Metro Bundler ready.
[09:35:28] Could not access packager status at ht tp://localhost:19003/status. Are you sure the packager is running and reachable?
[09:35:28] Error: Could not access packager status at ht tp://localhost:19003/status. Are you sure the packager is running and reachable?
at Timeout._onTimeout (/xdl@51.4.0/src/Project.js:1490:11)
at ontimeout (timers.js:482:11)
at tryOnTimeout (timers.js:317:5)
at Timer.listOnTimeout (timers.js:277:5)

Like another poster, I couldn’t find the desktop tools that were referenced in another answer. I looked at the Expo Tools page but there wasn’t a desktop tool there!

I read the blog post here :

which suggests that the command line interface should open a browser window with the dev tool in it, but it doesn’t. It gives me the error message above.

Totally baffled!

I have made progress. localhost wasn’t a defined host on my Mac, and I edited /etc/hosts to include it.

Then it worked. Presumably
(1) localhost shouldn’t be assumed by expo that it exists
(2) if it doesn’t exist, expo should be able to either (a) fix it itself, or (b) use a workaround, or worst case (c) provide a more helpful error message (how is a new user expected to know what “the packager” is?)

Hey @davidburbage,

Glad you figured it out. Sorry for the inconvenience initially. I relayed this to the lead on the devtool. Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,

Adam

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.