AWS Appsync in the future?

Hi Expo Team,

Thank you for all of your services! I really enjoy working with Expo!

The implementation with AWS Amplify library is huge for me. I wanted to know if the Expo team plans to link with the AWS Appsync library as well?

This will really help with the real time data fetching cases.

Thanks!! :slight_smile:

Mike

hey there! AppSync works fine with Expo, actually! it’s a JS-only library at the moment. In fact, I’m using it on a project of my own right now :slight_smile: this guide explains how to use it with CRNA (create-react-native-app): https://docs.aws.amazon.com/appsync/latest/devguide/building-a-client-app-reactnative.html – CRNA is basically just Expo :slight_smile:

I really appreciate the quick response!!

You guys seriously are moving the app dev world forward quickly.

Thanks for the docs and infor Ill be reading this tonight. :slight_smile:

Mike

Hi @notbrent!

First off thank you as well! Did you have to eject your expo/crna app like how the the devguide directed to add:

<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.INTERNET" />
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW"/>
<uses-permission android:name="android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE" />

Thanks!
Hendricx

no, those are all included in expo projects by default

I’ll follow up with appsync folks so we can improve the docs there

I haven’t ejected my app and I don’t want to so I was hoping there is a way without ejecting.

Will I need to eject so that I can add android dependencies? Or has expo got the dependencies already configured?

Thanks!

Mike

Just seeing your response now.

Looks like you have confirmed that these docs are not up to date and that expo has the dependencies already configured. Awesome!!

Thanks!

Mike

Hi, I started to learn how to make expo react native app with AWS backend + “offline first”, so AppSync + Expo looks like a perfect fit. Found this amazing tutorial Code an App With GraphQL, React Native, and AWS AppSync in two parts:
Backend + Frontend + GitHub Project by Nader Dabit. I can build project with Expo but I can’t run it on my phone because of some version mismatch error (I can’t install Android studio, my convertible is too weak). Can someone with expo experience look at app.json & package.json and see where is the problem? Thanks in advance for any hint.

didn’t look at that example but you can absolutely use appsync without any issue with expo. see https://github.com/brentvatne/quoi for example

closed #12

This topic was automatically closed 28 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.