Barcode scanner not working on some android devices with expo v27

Hi! I hope someone could help me! I have made an app with expo for iOS and Android devices. One of the main functions of the app is to scan a QR code, I’m using the BarCodeScanner component. The app works fine on iOS devices, but is not working on some Android versions. I’m making the test on Huawei P20 models with Android 8.0, I made the test with other android versions like 7.0 and isn’t working either. I have checked some other posts about this issue, some people resolved it by downgrading the expo version to 22, but I want to know if there is not another solution because from 22 to 27 (my actual version) there is a lot of time. I’m using expo v27.0.1. Even the Expo app isn’t working on these android versions when I try to scan the QR code for my project.

My code to scan the QR is similar to this example: BarCodeScanner Example - Snack

Thanks for your help.

hi @frecson, the snack you made looks like its published under a really old sdk, so i just copied and pasted it into a new one barcodescanner - Snack , which seems to work on the Nexus 5 i tested on.

From your reports, it sounds like the barcodescanner isnt working on specific models running Android. Are they able to run the most up to date Expo app, with the snack link i posted? If not, could you list more in detail what version of Expo app you are scanning in with, and the behaviour you are seeing with the specific phone models?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for your answer! Let me check with that version in snack. These days I made a lot of tests in Huawei P20 models and Huawei Mate 10 with android versions 8.0, 8.1 and 7.0 and the latest version of expo installed in the devices (2.5.2).

With the expo app I can’t scan the QR generated by my project, nothing happens, I just put the camera in front of the QR to read the code and nothing happens, just like if there was not code in front of the camera, so, because the expo app isn’t working either, I think the problem is not with the code of my app. When I run my app is the same thing, nothing happens, no error, no action, no logs, nothing, it just doesn’t work. It’s working with a Galaxy S5 with android 6.0.1 but not with the other versions.

Thanks again!

hi @frecson, this is probably a bug then. If you could make an issue on our github page – Issues · expo/expo · GitHub that would be really helpful. thanks!

Hi! I did the issue: https://github.com/expo/expo/issues/1782

I hope they could help me as soon as possible because our client needs to use the app two weeks ago and we are late. Thanks for understanding!

Hi @frecson, I saw your github issue and have relayed it to the appropriate authorities :slight_smile:

Great! Thank you very much!

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.