Build error, ios-shell-app Errored, "Error: write EPIPE"

I’m having trouble building a standalone app for both IOS and Android.

Under “running gulp task”, I see this error:

IOS

[stderr] [22:17:04] 'ios-shell-app' errored after 811 ms
[stderr] [22:17:04] Error: write EPIPE
[stderr]     at _errnoException (util.js:992:11)
[stderr]     at WriteWrap.afterWrite (net.js:864:14)

ANDROID

[06:07:45] Using gulpfile /src/exponent/tools-public/gulpfile.js
[06:07:45] Starting 'android-shell-app'...
[stderr] [06:07:46] 'android-shell-app' errored after 214 ms
[stderr] [06:07:46] Error: write EPIPE
[stderr]     at _errnoException (util.js:1021:11)
[stderr]     at WriteWrap.afterWrite (net.js:860:14)

Please help.

I’m using the latest version of Expo and I’ve simply typed “exp build:android” or “exp build:ios” to try building.

When using the simulator, the app seems to build and run fine.

You should give it a try again! We had some issues with our build system last night.

More information here: http://expo.statuspage.io/

Ok trying again right now.

But could you please tell me how I can get more info from my error? The error message doesn’t explain anything to me.

Just tried and failed with the same issue.

Could you please help? This is a huge bottleneck for me.

Tyvm in advance.

https://expo.io/builds/7b09b029-5ace-40f4-8467-11fec3f8a354

Hi, I’m still waiting on this issue. I’ve spent quite a bit of time trying to fix this by myself by trial and error – but still no luck.

If someone could please help me resolve this or help me see a more detailed error message, I would really appreciate it.

Hello @saeho,
we have access to more detailed logs and it turns out that the error you have, may be caused by having a lot of assets in your app. It seems that our builder doesn’t handle well having >1.5k assets in an app. We should definitely make the error message more descriptive, additionally i’ll check why it’s a problem for our builder in the first place. Sorry for the trouble. I’ll let you know when we fix the issue.

Hi @dsokal .

I use a lot of assets in the app because I use Twemojis. I really must have Twemojis in my app.

What is the best work-around for this? Also when do you think this builder issue can be resolved?

Hi @dsokal

I’ve managed to (painfully) avoid this problem by selectively adding only 500 of the Twemojis I really need. But this is a temporary solution for me.

May I please know when this asset issue will be resolved?

The issue should be fixed now. Please let me know if you’re still experiencing the original problem.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.