Shell: 4.4.19 - /bin/bash
Binaries:
Node: 12.18.3 - /usr/bin/node
npm: 6.14.8 - /usr/bin/npm
npmPackages:
expo: ~38.0.8 => 38.0.9
react: ~16.11.0 => 16.11.0
react-dom: ~16.11.0 => 16.11.0
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-38.0.2.tar.gz => 0.62.2
react-native-web: ~0.11.7 => 0.11.7
react-navigation: ^4.4.0 => 4.4.0
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 3.27.4
Expo Workflow: managed

I am new to expo ecosystem and facing a weird issue while building a standalone iOS ipa. The issue I am facing is related to validation of provisioning profile on the Apple servers. Below is the stdout of the expo build command for reference.

I have manually specified the Distribution(p12), APN and provisioning profile certificates after manually downloading them from the Apple Developer Website.

After getting the validation message, I have performed a diff on the local provisioning profile cer file and the file existing on the expo server(fetch:ios:certs) to check if there is a discrepency however the files are found identical.

There is one more manual step I performed to check the application-identifier key in the provisioning profile file to check if the team id and bundle identifier matches and found it perfectly matching.

Now, I am kind of confused as to what exactly might have been causing the validation issue.

If the provisioning profile was provided manually we don’t know id of that profile, so we can’t verify it.

If you want to get rid of that warning remove the provisioning profile from expo servers, run build and select let expo handle it. You will be provided with a list of provisioning profiles on your apple account matching that bundle identifier.

1 Like

Thank you @wkozyra

I tried with the method you suggested so the warning is gone and the build is successful. However, the binary size is whooping 196 MB, not able to understand as to what is it that spiked the spa size so much. Is there any specific reason / resolution to this so that the binary size doesn’t get that big.

Provisioning profile should not affect binary size, especially that if you selected the same provisioning profile you passed manually it should be the same one.

What size was that ipa before and when did you checked it?

1 Like

That’s exactly my views are, ideally profile should have no effect on the generated binary size

The ipa size before was approx 37 MB

Are you sure about that? Maybe you are thinking about apk?

There were changes between SDKs, sometimes ipa was around 100MB and sometimes it was about 200MB, but I have never seen it so small.

Take into account that it’s not a final size user needs to download, apple will process it after submission.

1 Like

Yes, I am very much talking about iOS ipa and not ask.

The app that I am working on is just starting up and is in a initial demo phase and the codebase is not that big size too.

I am deploying the app on TestFlight for now to demo the first cut to the client.

What I am trying to do now is:

fetch the certificates that are there on expo server locally and pass them individually to see if it helps in reducing the final binary size. Will keep you posted on that

@wkozyra is the ipa size between range 100-200 MB is normal?

is the ipa size between range 100-200 MB is normal?

yes that is normal, in testflight it will be smaller and after upload to app store even smaller than the testflight version.

The app that I am working on is just starting up and is in a initial demo phase and the codebase is not that big size too.

It does not matter how large your codebase is because native libraries are usually a lot larger. Expo includes all libraries supported in the managed workflow, so the difference between small apps and a large one is insignificant.

Yes, I am very much talking about iOS ipa and not ask.

Yes I know that you are talking about iOS, I was suggesting that maybe you checked the wrong file by mistake

1 Like

Thanks a lot @wkozyra! I am able to successfully deploy and test the app on TestFlight. It wouldn’t have been possible without your timely, to the point and quick inputs.

Thanks again,
Neeraj

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.