Check the render method of `DevLoadingView`.

1. SDK Version: 40
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): ios

Hi, after upgrading to SDK40 I am getting this error:

Error: Element type is invalid: expected a string (for built-in components) or a class/function (for composite components) but got: undefined. You likely forgot to export your component from the file it's defined in, or you might have mixed up default and named imports.

Check the render method of `DevLoadingView`.

This error is located at:
    in RCTView (at View.js:34)
    in View (at createAnimatedComponent.js:165)
    in AnimatedComponent (at createAnimatedComponent.js:215)
    in ForwardRef(AnimatedComponentWrapper) (created by DevLoadingView)
    in DevLoadingView (created by DevAppContainer)
    in DevAppContainer (at AppContainer.js:121)
    in RCTView (at View.js:34)
    in View (at AppContainer.js:132)
    in AppContainer (at renderApplication.js:39)
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/LogBox/LogBox.js:148:8 in registerError
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/LogBox/LogBox.js:59:8 in errorImpl
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/LogBox/LogBox.js:33:4 in console.error
- node_modules/expo/build/environment/react-native-logs.fx.js:27:4 in error
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/Core/ExceptionsManager.js:104:6 in reportException
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/Core/ExceptionsManager.js:171:19 in handleException
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/Core/setUpErrorHandling.js:24:6 in handleError
- node_modules/expo-error-recovery/build/ErrorRecovery.fx.js:9:32 in ErrorUtils.setGlobalHandler$argument_0
- node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:45:36 in tryCatch
- node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:274:29 in invoke
- node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:45:36 in tryCatch
- node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:135:27 in invoke
- node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:145:18 in PromiseImpl.resolve.then$argument_0
- node_modules/react-native/node_modules/promise/setimmediate/core.js:37:13 in tryCallOne
- node_modules/react-native/node_modules/promise/setimmediate/core.js:123:24 in setImmediate$argument_0
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/Core/Timers/JSTimers.js:130:14 in _callTimer
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/Core/Timers/JSTimers.js:181:14 in _callImmediatesPass
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/Core/Timers/JSTimers.js:441:30 in callImmediates
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/BatchedBridge/MessageQueue.js:387:6 in __callImmediates
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/BatchedBridge/MessageQueue.js:135:6 in __guard$argument_0
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/BatchedBridge/MessageQueue.js:364:10 in __guard
- node_modules/react-native/Libraries/BatchedBridge/MessageQueue.js:134:4 in flushedQueue
* [native code]:null in flushedQueue
* [native code]:null in invokeCallbackAndReturnFlushedQueue

This is the expo UI and occurs even on an app that returns a simple any idea what this is? I am sure it’s something wrong in the configuration but I tried everything, delete cache, remove the simulator but the error persists…

can you share a reproducible example of this problem on github? it’s hard to imagine what might be going wrong here. if you need to keep it private, you can share it privately with brentvatne (Brent Vatne) · GitHub

Hi Brent, thanks but that would require to give you access to our full codebase…
I could load the whole project in Android which I noticed doesn’t animate the transition, as soon as I started using another library (ui-kitten) which uses animations, I receive the same error.

Seems to be related to AnimatedComponent…

This is a full writeup I just made on stackoverflow:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/66621811/react-native-animatedcomponent-element-type-is-invalid-very-hard-to-debug

It’s very very weird…

you should try narrowing down the source of the problem. fyi/manual-debugging.md at main · expo/fyi · GitHub - break your app down to hello world, remove any babel plugins or metro customizations, slowly add things back until the problem arises again

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.