Disable SplashScreen

Hey! I’m on the bare workflow and am including expo just for background location. After adding these imports

import * as TaskManager from 'expo-task-manager';
import * as Location from 'expo-location';

No native splash screen registered for given view controller. Call 'SplashScreen.show' for given view controller first.

I’m using wix’s react-native-navigation and don’t need expo’s SplashScreen, I’m not sure why those imports have convinced expo that I’ve opted into to using it’s SplashScreen. Could I have some help figuring out how to disable that feature?

Thanks!

@esamelson, any ideas?

@andrewsb, I found this issue, but that’s about people who are actually trying to use expo-screen-saver.

@esamelson / @expo any ideas on why this might be happening? I’d love to stop bogus warnings from showing up in my react native log view

@adamjnav any ideas?

I’ve still got this as an issue, and it’s now causing problems with running detox tests. According to

@charliecruzan, any chance you have an idea of what’s wrong here?

when you init a bare workflow project, it comes with certain libraries already installed (expo-updates is one, expo-splash-screen is another- they’re preinstalled bc they’re a little more complicated to manually install than just running yarn add <package>). An easy way to tell if it’s installed is to look for expo-splash-screen in your package.json dependencies

1 Like

Thanks for the help @charliecruzan!
Got it, I don’t see it in my package.json. It just has the 3 I explicitly added

"expo": "^38.0.9",
"expo-location": "~8.2.1",
"expo-task-manager": "^8.4.0",

I see expo in my lock file, which requires the following and more:

"expo-asset": "~8.1.7",
    "expo-constants": "~9.1.1",
    "expo-error-recovery": "~1.2.1",
    "expo-file-system": "~9.0.1",
    "expo-font": "~8.2.1",
    "expo-keep-awake": "~8.2.1",
    "expo-linear-gradient": "~8.2.1",
    "expo-linking": "~1.0.3",
    "expo-location": "~8.2.1",
    "expo-permissions": "~9.0.1",
    "expo-splash-screen": "^0.5.0",
    "expo-sqlite": "~8.2.1",

So I guess they’re coming in through there? Can I remove my dependency on expo or use a reduced version of expo?

Just a guess: try uninstalling expo and if you need any of the things you listed from the lock file, install them directly.

I have not tried this myself.