Display flipped when running on device

Hi all,

I don’t know if this is a common problem or not but when I run my app on my device, a lot of things are displayed in “reverse” and I can’t figure out why. Here’s how it looks when I run it on my device using Expo Client (this is a moving clip):

Here is a description of how things should look and do look when I run the app on simulator:

1. On the sign in screen, “Forgot password” is aligned correctly to the left of the password input box.

2. When I click “Create an account”, the screen transitions from left to right. The back button is on the top-left corner of the screen.

3. When I sign in and navigate to the home screen, the bottom menu items are correctly ordered from left to right: Apps - Camera - Navigate - Sign Out.

Here are some of my package.json details:

"dependencies": {
    "@expo/vector-icons": "^8.0.0",
    "expo": "^31.0.2",
    "firebase": "^5.5.9",
    "native-base": "^2.8.1",
    "react": "16.5.0",
    "react-native": "https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-31.0.0.tar.gz",
    "react-native-communications": "^2.2.1",
    "react-native-elements": "^1.0.0-beta7",
    "react-navigation": "^3.0.2",
    "react-navigation-transition-config": "^1.1.5"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "babel-preset-expo": "^5.0.0",
    "eslint": "^5.9.0",
    "eslint-config-airbnb-base": "^13.1.0",
    "eslint-plugin-import": "^2.14.0"
  }
}

Is there some way to fix this? Has anyone else encountered this strange behavior? If so what is the solution?

Hey @treelevitt,

Does this occur on both iOS and Android? Are you able to share your code or more ideally a repo that we can try and reproduce this on our end?

Cheers,

Adam

Hi Adam,

Here’s my repo:

https://github.com/treelevitt/project_MB

I don’t have an Android phone so I can’t test my code to see if the problem persists.

Please let me know what you can find. Thanks!

Hi again,

I decided to delete and reinstall Expo Client from my iPhone and this fixed my issue. Thank you.

Interesting. Glad that fixed it. I’m going to bring this up internally so hopefully we can figure out what caused it in the first place.

Cheers!

Hi Adam,

I think that would be a good idea because when I was viewing another person’s project on my Expo Client the display was flipped too. It felt like the direction of the app was set to RTL rather than the default LTR direction.

Hopefully it’s just a glitch.

1 Like

Thanks for the further update, Teresa! I’ll let you know what we discover.

Hey @treelevitt,

We figured out the issue. If you view an experience that is set to RTL in the Client, all subsequent experiences will be rendered RTL as well. I created an issue here to track it: https://github.com/expo/expo/issues/2926

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention!

All the best,

Adam

Oooo maybe that’s what happened with me.

Thank you for looking into this for us! I’m sure it’ll come up again with someone else. Glad to know it’s not an issue with my project.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.