EAS Build failed: Couldn't find Android manifest at ...

I’m trying out your new eas build service and I’m getting this error consistently on the Android build:

Build failed: Couldn’t find Android manifest at /build/workingdir/build/android/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml

This is on the build page at https://expo.io/. I can build locally, and the IOS version also works.

My app is a bare workflow app, with the javascript files copied over from my original managed app. (I tried ejecting but couldn’t get it to work)

From expo diagnostics:
Expo CLI 4.3.0 environment info:
System:
OS: macOS 11.2.2
Shell: 5.8 - /bin/zsh
Binaries:
Node: 12.18.0 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v12.18.0/bin/node
Yarn: 1.22.10 - /usr/local/bin/yarn
npm: 6.14.4 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v12.18.0/bin/npm
Managers:
CocoaPods: 1.9.1 - /usr/local/bin/pod
SDKs:
iOS SDK:
Platforms: iOS 14.4, DriverKit 20.2, macOS 11.1, tvOS 14.3, watchOS 7.2
Android SDK:
API Levels: 29
Build Tools: 28.0.3, 29.0.2, 29.0.3, 30.0.0
System Images: android-29 | Google APIs Intel x86 Atom
IDEs:
Android Studio: 4.0 AI-193.6911.18.40.6514223
Xcode: 12.4/12D4e - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
npmPackages:
expo: ~40.0.0 => 40.0.1
react: 16.13.1 => 16.13.1
react-dom: 16.13.1 => 16.13.1
react-native: ~0.63.4 => 0.63.4
react-native-web: ~0.13.12 => 0.13.18
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 4.3.0
Expo Workflow: bare

The most recent build Id is 2d55d022-15b0-4bbe-8fca-91b0a6166404, but I tried a few times with the same result.

to be totally clear, if you run yarn android locally it builds and runs as expected?

is your AndroidManifest somehow being left out of source control? we use git to create a shallow clone and then compress and upload it to be built. you can explore what is uploaded by running this in your project root:

git clone --local --no-hardlinks --depth 1 file:///`pwd` `pwd`/debug-project

this will clone your project into a directory called debug-project. explore it to see if AndroidManifest.xml exists at the path from the error message

I tried that and the AndroidManifest.xml was not copied over. I checked .gitignore and there is a line for /android/app/src/main/AndroidManifest.xml. Not sure how or why that is there if it shouldn’t be.

I’ll try removing that line from gitignore, commiting the AndroidManifest and building again.

that is certainly a strange thing to have in your gitignore, you could maybe check out how it got there via git blame

I was able to build the app once I fixed gitignore and added the manifest. Thanks so much! I’ll dig into the gitignore file and post here if anything seems suspicious.