eas build with .gitignored files.

Hello, Great tool! enjoying using it a lot.

At the moment I am having to commit my google-services.json & GoogleService-Info.plist files in order to allow the eas cloud-build to work properly but this seems a bit of a security risk?

Ideally, I’d have these files referenced in my .gitignore and ultimately never commit them.

Sat, 06 Feb 2021 17:16:45 GMT
[stderr] [17:16:45] Cannot copy google-services.json from /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/workingdir/build/google-services-staging.json to /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/workingdir/build/android/app/google-services.json. Please make sure the source and destination paths exist.
[stderr] [17:16:45] Error: Cannot copy google-services.json from /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/workingdir/build/google-services-staging.json to /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/workingdir/build/android/app/google-services.json. Please make sure the source and destination paths exist.
[stderr]     at setGoogleServicesFile (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/node_modules/@expo/config-plugins/src/android/GoogleServices.ts:79:11)
[stderr]     at runMicrotasks (<anonymous>)
[stderr]     at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:93:5)
[stderr]     at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/node_modules/@expo/config-plugins/src/android/GoogleServices.ts:53:7
[stderr]     at action (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/node_modules/@expo/config-plugins/src/plugins/core-plugins.ts:118:23)
[stderr]     at action (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/node_modules/@expo/config-plugins/src/plugins/compiler-plugins.ts:282:23)
[stderr]     at evalModsAsync (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/node_modules/@expo/config-plugins/src/plugins/mod-compiler.ts:75:25)
[stderr]     at compileModsAsync (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/node_modules/@expo/config-plugins/src/plugins/mod-compiler.ts:17:10)
[stderr]     at configureManagedProjectAsync (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/node_modules/expo-cli/src/commands/apply/configureProjectAsync.ts:115:12)
[stderr]     at prebuildAsync (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/node_modules/expo-cli/src/commands/eject/Eject.ts:146:25)
[stderr]     at Object.ejectAsync (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/node_modules/expo-cli/src/commands/eject/Eject.ts:78:19)
[stderr]     at actionAsync (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/node_modules/expo-cli/src/commands/eject.ts:46:5)
[stderr]     at Command.<anonymous> (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/@expo/eas-build-worker/node_modules/expo-cli/src/exp.ts:346:7)
Build failed: node exited with non-zero code: 1

Is there any workaround to this scenario/issue?

Thank you!

We plan to support env vars in the future so you could restore files using npm hooks, but for now, it needs to be committed into repo

this seems a bit of a security risk?

Not really, google-services.json is client-side credentials and by definition, there is no way to secure that because it’s on client devices anyway, anyone can unzip apk or ipa files or if they have rooted/jailbreak their device can access app files directly. Of course, it shouldn’t be placed in a public repo, but securing it further is not really necessary.

2 Likes

Thanks allot for your reply. It’s good to get some clarification on this subject. I’ll commit my configs as my repo is private.

Good to know envs are being supported down the line.

1 Like

@wkozyra it may be worth mentioning that on the app.json documentation on the expo site the google service credentials for the android part of the table I think is a duplicate of the IOS implementation as it makes reference to a .plist file when it should be the google-services.json. just a heads up as that might confuse some Devs.