EAS Submit won't work but Transporter will

I seem to be consistently getting the following error when using EAS Submit. I can, however, submit the builds with Transporter without issue.

ERROR ITMS-90072: “The IPA is invalid. It does not include a Payload directory.”

can you provide a link to the build page for the app that you are trying to upload?

Is there a way I can send this to you privately? I don’t really want people to be able to download the build at this stage. I don’t seem to be able to PM you.

it’s private - only admins can access the page

Do you mean the build page is private? I seem to be able to access this page and download a build without being signed in. (In fact I rely on this for distributing builds across the team)

yeah the build page is private. try opening it in incognito to verify if you need to

Unless I am misunderstanding, it seems to be public for me. As you can see in this screenshot, I have opened the build page in incognito and as you can see from the Sign Up/Log In button I have not logged in but yet I can download the build (well I need to turn on the device emulator toolbar or open it incognito on my phone to actually make it download the binary instead of giving me instructions for how to download it on my phone).

oh sorry, i did not realize it was an internal distribution build. you can’t submit an internal distribution build to the app store. it’s signed for ad-hoc distribution, not for app store distribution.

Ah right sorry yes sorry I was confused. Here is a link to an App Store build which is experiencing the problem.

we can’t reproduce this on our side and i suspect it may have been an accident similar to the above on your side, if this happens again please share the full logs from eas submit and output :slight_smile:

eas submit --url=https://expo.io/accounts/staxy/projects/staxy/builds/a6d342f2-2c80-44ec-8729-e91ef28c383e
√ Submit to platform » iOS
✔ Linked to project @staxy/staxy

Ensuring your app exists on App Store Connect. This step can be skipped by providing the --asc-app-id param. Learn more:https://expo.fyi/asc-app-id

› Log in to your Apple Developer account to continue
√ Apple ID: ... xxxxxxx
› Restoring session C:\Users\rober\.app-store\auth\xxxxxxxxxxxxx\cookie
› Session expired Local session
› The password is only used to authenticate with Apple and never stored on EAS servers
  Learn more: https://bit.ly/2VtGWhU
√ Password (for xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk): ... ************
› Saving Apple ID password to the local Keychain
  Learn more: https://docs.expo.io/distribution/security#keychain
√ Logged in New session
√ Select a Team » xxxxxxxxx Ltd - Company/Organization (xxxxxx)
√ Select a Provider » xxxxx Ltd (xxxxx)

✔ Bundle identifier registered xxx.xx.xx
✔ Prepared App Store for STAXY xxx.xx.xx
Please enter your Apple app-specific password. You can also provide it by using EXPO_APPLE_APP_SPECIFIC_PASSWORD env
variable.
Learn more: https://expo.fyi/apple-app-specific-password
√ Your Apple app-specific password: ... *******************

ASC App ID:   xxxx
Apple ID:     xxxx@xxxxx.co.uk
Project ID:   xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Archive URL:  https://expo.io/accounts/staxy/projects/staxy/builds/a6d342f2-2c80-44ec-8729-e91ef28c383e

✔ Scheduling submission
✖ Something went wrong when submitting your app to Apple App Store.
We couldn't figure out what went wrong. Please see logs to learn more.

[logs] Starting iOS app upload
[logs] Downloading archive
[logs] Preparing artifact
[logs] Uploading iOS app to TestFlight...
[logs] Uploading the app with fastlane
[logs] -------------------
[logs] --- Step: pilot ---
[logs] -------------------
[logs] Ready to upload new build to TestFlight (App: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)...
[logs] Fetching password for transporter from environment variable named `FASTLANE_APPLE_APPLICATION_SPECIFIC_PASSWORD`
[logs] Going to upload updated app to App Store Connect
[logs] This might take a few minutes. Please don't interrupt the script.
[logs] [Transporter Error Output]: ERROR ITMS-90072: "The IPA is invalid. It does not include a Payload directory."
[logs] Transporter transfer failed.
[logs] ERROR ITMS-90072: "The IPA is invalid. It does not include a Payload directory."
[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter] [2021-06-14 08:07:59 PDT] <main> DBG-X:   parameter ShouldUseRESTAPIs = false
[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter] [2021-06-14 08:07:59 PDT] <main> ERROR: ERROR ITMS-90072: "The IPA is invalid. It does not include a Payload directory."
[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter] [2021-06-14 08:07:59 PDT] <main> DBG-X: The error code is: 1102
[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter] [2021-06-14 08:07:59 PDT] <main>  INFO: Done performing authentication.
[logs] [iTMSTransporter]
[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter] [2021-06-14 08:07:59 PDT] <main> DBG-X:   parameter ErrorMessage = ERROR ITMS-90072: "The IPA is invalid. It does not include a Payload directory.
[logs] [iTMSTransporter]  (1102)
[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter]
[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter] Package Summary:
[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter]
[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter] 1 package(s) were not uploaded because they had problems:
[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter]        /var/folders/97/xxxxxxxxx/T/xxxxxxxx-9178-1zq7xn/xxxxxxxxxxxx.itmsp - Error Messages:
[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter]                ERROR ITMS-90072: "The IPA is invalid. It does not include a Payload directory."[logs]
[logs] [iTMSTransporter] [2021-06-14 08:07:59 PDT] <main> DBG-X: Returning 1
[logs]
[logs] iTunes Transporter output above ^
[logs] ERROR ITMS-90072: "The IPA is invalid. It does not include a Payload directory."
[logs] Return status of iTunes Transporter was 1: ERROR ITMS-90072: "The IPA is invalid. It does not include a Payload directory."
[logs] The call to the iTMSTransporter completed with a non-zero exit status: 1. This indicates a failure.
[logs] [!] Error uploading ipa file, for more information see above
[logs] fastlane pilot failed

url param should be url to ipa not to the build page

1 Like

Thank you, apologies for my “accident”.