expo init tab template only available for typescript, what happened to JS template?

I want to create a new app using the tabs template, I’m the same procedure as always

expo init appName and then select tabs template, but now tabs template only appears with typescript option, how can I create an app with tabs but with js?

Expo CLI 3.21.13 environment info:
System:
Shell: 3.2.57 - /bin/bash
Binaries:
Node: 14.2.0 - /usr/local/bin/node
Yarn: 1.16.0 - /usr/local/bin/yarn
npm: 6.14.4 - /usr/local/bin/npm
IDEs:
Android Studio: 4.0 AI-193.6911.18.40.6514223
Xcode: 11.5/11E608c - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
npmPackages:
expo: ~38.0.8 => 38.0.8
react: ~16.11.0 => 16.11.0
react-dom: ~16.11.0 => 16.11.0
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-38.0.1.tar.gz => 0.62.2
react-native-web: ~0.11.7 => 0.11.7
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 3.21.13

3 Likes

Exactly I’m also having the same issue please help :relieved:

2 Likes

we decided we only want to maintain a typescript version of the tabs template, because i believe people will be better off if they use it. you can probably find some scripts to remove all typescript annotations from an app if you really don’t want it :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is very bad. Not all of us are ready for typescipt. You could have left the js template alone and added the ts version

3 Likes

you can still use the old template if you would like, and this is also something that the community of developers using expo can build and maintain. we need to be conscious of the number of templates we maintain ourselves because each additional one adds overhead for each release

That’s great… and this doesn’t work: https://reactnavigation.org/docs/getting-started/

There’s a workaround that involves spending a ton of time cloning your repo etc etc etc… but not worth it. I give up on Expo. Always gets worse instead of better.

2 Likes

hey tim, the getting started instructions for react-navigation definitely work, perhaps you did not follow the steps properly. sorry to hear you’re giving up on expo, good luck with whatever other tool you use!

here’s a little video recording of me taking a couple minutes to init a new project, follow the install instructions on reactnavigation.org, and then copying in simple minimal example from the first page of the tutorial navigation

I started a project with expo 3 months ago and now I cant make it run .It went from SDK 34 to 38 and now I have to upgrade all the libraries. I can’t make a small change ( app icon ) for my client because I have to keep up with this expo shit. What’s the business logic in to this ?! I give up on react , and on expo I’m moving to Flutter and thanks for making our life Harder and harder. Thank you and good luck on your mission.

If you started an app 3 months ago it would have been using SDK 37 by default.

Good luck with Flutter.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.