Expo player does not show video on android

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 36.0.2
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android/IOS

I am currently developing an app that lets the user record some videos in one screen and in another I want to play the videos using expo videoplayer from Expo AV. The weird thing is that this works perfectly with IOS. Recording works on android (I can console log the link to the video in memory and I can console log the context used to see that it is actually there). But when I use the URL for the videoplayer the video does not appear on android. Instead there is an empty frame where the video should be.
I tried using the exact same code and logic in a test project and it worked perfectly. I am wondering if there could be some package-conflict or something like that. I can’t really wrap my mind around what could be wrong.

Here is mye package.json.
{
“main”: “node_modules/expo/AppEntry.js”,
“scripts”: {
“start”: “expo start”,
“android”: “expo start --android”,
“ios”: “expo start --ios”,
“web”: “expo start --web”,
“eject”: “expo eject”
},
“dependencies”: {
“expo”: “^36.0.2”,
“expo-av”: “^8.0.0”,
“expo-camera”: “^8.0.0”,
“expo-file-system”: “^8.0.0”,
“expo-permissions”: “~8.0.0”,
“native-base”: “^2.13.8”,
“react”: “~16.9.0”,
“react-devtools”: “^3.6.3”,
“react-dom”: “~16.9.0”,
“react-native”: “https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-36.0.0.tar.gz”,
“react-native-gesture-handler”: “^1.5.6”,
“react-native-reanimated”: “~1.4.0”,
“react-native-router-flux”: “^4.2.0”,
“react-native-screens”: “2.0.0-alpha.12”,
“react-native-web”: “~0.11.7”
},
“devDependencies”: {
@babel/core”: “^7.0.0”,
“babel-preset-expo”: “~8.0.0”
},
“private”: true
}

Here is my super-basic video-player.
<Video
source={{ uri: this.props.uri }} style={{ height: 500, width: 300 }}
shouldPlay={this.props.shouldPlay}
rate={1.0}
volume={1.0}
isMuted={false}
isLooping={false}
resizeMode=‘cover’

/>

The videoplayer gets the props passed by a component which uses context to get the recordings and play them. I have console logged it and everything seems to be working fine with the URIs.
I have tried using videos from youtube as a link and it works (sometimes). As mentioned earlier we have tried using a separate “test”-project and even the recordings work.

Examples of how the screen looks after it video is loaded.

To see the how the URI looks go to the first reply.

This is the image of how the URI looks when inspecting using devtools.

Following, I am running into something very similar. My video will play and I can hear the audio but it never renders the video. Then when the video ends the app crashes. it works perfectly fine on iOS but will not work on android. If you’ve been able to find the solution I would appreciate an update

We have not found a solution yet, I will keep you updated!
At this moment we are stripping the project and for some weird reason the only difference we can find between a working project and a defect one is the use of routing. We are testing for the possibility of conflicts

Is it possible for you to upgrade to SDK 37? I did so and I got a video to play from a downloaded file (downloaded and stored to the device). I’m going to take a look at how its saving from my recorded video to see if there’s anything I can do differently.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.