expo upgrade never finishes

I have consistently upgraded the project through the SDK versions over time. The project started on 27 I believe. I’ve successfully upgraded (manually) to SDK 35 (from 33 this session) without too much headache. There are no longer manual upgrade instructions that I can find and expo upgrade 36.0.0 as well as just expo upgrade never finish. I let it sit through the night last night. It never gets past this:
⠋ Installing the expo@^37.0.0 package…

I can see that it’s updated package.json and the yarn.lock file but that’s as far is it goes.

Expo CLI 3.17.23 environment info:
System:
Shell: 5.3 - /bin/zsh
Binaries:
Node: 12.13.0 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v12.13.0/bin/node
Yarn: 1.3.2 - /usr/local/bin/yarn
npm: 6.12.0 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v12.13.0/bin/npm
Watchman: 4.9.0 - /usr/local/bin/watchman
IDEs:
Android Studio: 3.1 AI-173.4907809
Xcode: 11.3.1/11C504 - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
npmPackages:
expo: ^35.0.0 => 35.0.1
react: 16.8.3 => 16.8.3
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-35.0.0.tar.gz => 0.59.8
react-navigation: ^2.18.2 => 2.18.3
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 3.17.23

hello! try running ‘yarn add expo@^37.0.0’ in your project. let me know what error you see

you can also run EXPO_DEBUG=true expo upgrade

this will show you more info on what is going on

up, the same for me.
‘yarn add expo@^37.0.0’ finished well.
‘EXPO_DEBUG=true expo upgrade’ doesn’t finish

thanks for letting me know! please post an issue to expo-cli and be sure to fill in the template!

I have just found a solution.
I had a problem with fsevents during the installation due to a certain node version.
So I add to my package.json:

"resolutions": {
    "fsevents": "^1.2.9"
  },

rerun ‘yarn’
and it works.

1 Like

we recommend using node lts release (12.16.2) which should work well with fsevents.

going to track this issue in Expo Upgrade don't Finish · Issue #1801 · expo/expo-cli · GitHub and update there when i’ve resolved it by making it more obvious to users what the error is rather than hanging the process

hi there! if you are encountering this issue, can you please try expo-cli@3.18.6 and let me know if that resolves your issue?

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.