ExpoKit Initial Push Notification Not Firing

My team has a standalone app using ExpoKit that does not receive any triggers when the app is launched via a push notification tap on iOS or Android. To be clear, we do receive triggers in other scenarios with PNs so we do know the setup is working correctly for the most part. Here’s a summary of what we’ve got so far:

App is open and foregrounded, PN is received, trigger fires with origin “received”
App is backgrounded/minimized, PN is received, PN is tapped, app becomes foregrounded, trigger fires with origin “selected”
App is closed/quit, PN is received, PN is tapped, app launches, trigger does not fire

In our App.js entry file we are setting up the trigger like this immediately:

import { Notifications } from 'expo';
Notifications.addListener(notification => alert(JSON.stringify(notification)));

We believe this is an issue where ExpoKit is not explicitly checking for a notification when the app is launched. ExpoKit does set up a listener for any new incoming notifications, but does not check for any notifications that are already present when the app launches. It is my understanding that ExpoKit uses the AppDelegate file here:

Inspecting that code reveals to me that ExpoKit does not seem to check for the existence of a notification when the app is launched. This is usually handled on iOS with this code:

- (BOOL)application:(UIApplication *)application didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:(NSDictionary *)launchOptions
{
  NSDictionary *notification = [launchOptions objectForKey:UIApplicationLaunchOptionsRemoteNotificationKey];
  if (notification) {
      [self application:application didReceiveRemoteNotification:notification];
  }
  return [super application:application didFinishLaunchingWithOptions:launchOptions];
}

We are trying to publish this app to a wide corporate audience and the fact that PNs are not working as expected when the app is closed is a blocker. Can you provide any insight here?