Fresh install does not download latest OTA update / publish

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 39
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android / iOS (Testing in iOS Testflight currently)
  3. Add the appropriate “Tag” based on what Expo library you have a question on.

Hi, I think I saw a recent issue related to this but I can’t find it anymore. The problem I’m experiencing is that on a fresh install expo isn’t downloading the latest OTA update for the app, only if you relaunch your app after initially downloading it. This is an issue for the app since the latest publish is crucial for the app to work.

I was thinking about adding the following code on app launch (and then uploading that build to app store) to force OTA but it doesn’t seem right if the expected behavior is for expo to always check for OTA :

update = await Updates.checkForUpdateAsync();
if (update.isAvailable) {
	dlUpdate = await Updates.fetchUpdateAsync();
	if (dlUpdate.isNew) {
		Updates.reloadAsync()
	}
}

Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Hey @devtester, can you share what your updates configuration is (found within your app.json)?

Hi @adamjnav, I left the updates configuration out because the default value says it should be “enabled”, “checkAutomatically” is defaulted correctly, and “fallbackToCacheTimeout” says it checks for 30 seconds (although the first time you load the app it instantly runs the binary version, less than 5 seconds for the app to start). If I need to change some or one of these let me know

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.