I had a working Android build, using SDK 24 and recently pushed a SDK 25 build out to get some beta testing going of the stand-alone app. Reports came in that the app wouldn’t load, just froze on the splash screen.
My findings so far:
- The app works fine in the Expo client (both dev and prod modes)
- The iOS stand-alone build works fine as well
- Using (or not using) the AppLoading component seems to have no effect this time (it was causing issues in SDK 22)
- Across a bunch of Android versions. Produced on v5, v7, v7.1
- Happens both from Google Play, but also if I just sideload the APK
- Downgrading to SDK 24 didn’t help. Which makes me think that this has something to do with my bundle. Still weird that Expo Client works perfectly fine.
It appears that registering for push notifications is causing this. As soon as I comment that out of my init promise chain, the app launches.
Working my through the registerForPush promise, it’s
const token = await Notifications.getExpoPushTokenAsync()
That completely derails the application. I don’t get any exceptions logged or anything. It just freezes.
Github issue: https://github.com/expo/expo/issues/1388