Full example of app.json

Can we get a full example of app.json?

For instance, when I first uploaded my expo app to the Apple App Store and Google Play, I didn’t include versionCode. But the second time I had to. And I got a CFBundleVersion error when uploading to iTunes Connect too. So I ended up having to spend over an hour building multiple times via exp, and multiple uploads with errors… just for some json validation. Seems like a waste of time for some obvious things.

For instance, for each of these keys, the documentation should have format. For instance - string or number.

I know there are some of these little threads online about how to fix these issues, but why debug when the documentation should just be more complete.

Here are the 3 I have issues with:
android: versionCode (integer, one greater than the last one uploaded)
ios:buildNumber (users don’t see this, and will be used as exactly what in the info.plist?)
version:

Again - all strings? numbers? decimals allowed? integers only?

Would be awesome to have a few json files with really great examples. Or even a JSON validator run before you run exp build:ios etc

Hey @poppopllc ! Here is an example of an App.json. I’m so sorry about our failures here. I promise we’ll get better.

{
  "expo": {
    "name": "<YOUR_NAME>",
    "icon": "./assets/icons/app-icon.png",
    "version": "1.0.0",
    "slug": "<YOUR_SLUG>",
    "sdkVersion": "20.0.0",
    "orientation": "portrait",
    "primaryColor": "#000000",
    "notification": {
      "icon": "./assets/icons/notification-icon.png",
      "color": "#000000",
    },
    "androidStatusBarColor":  "#000000",
    "loading": {
      "icon": "./assets/icons/loading-icon.png",
      "backgroundColor": "#000000",
      "hideExponentText": true,
      "splash": {
        "backgroundColor": "#000000",
      }
    },
    "ios": {
      "bundleIdentifier": "com.apk.<YOUR_VARIABLE>"
    },
    "android": {
      "package": "com.apk.<YOUR_VARIABLE>"
    }
  }
}

I don’t see where versionCode and buildNumber would be in the App.json

Meanwhile I really like using this resource to make sure you have everything checked off.

I hope this helps, this should be all you need?

Good stuff! Thanks for sharing.

what about configuring info.plist with app.json? can you give an example

hey, so it looks like you can add custom keys and values to the autogenerated info.plist file. the best place to see the syntax is probably documented by apple.

in a quick search i found this code example (under see the source code) which you can probably turn into a js object and be good