General Expo Upgrade Question

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 40
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): all

After upgrading Expo there is usually a warning messaging saying something like this:

The following packages were** not **updated. You should check the READMEs for those repositories to determine what version is compatible with your new set of packages:

I have gone through a lot of the READMEs and none of them say anything about Expo upgrade or compatibility. What do most people do with these potentially non-compatible packages?

I normally do a couple of things:

1. I use yarn. I run yarn outdated to get a list of things that I might be able to upgrade. Then I run expo install blah for each one.
  2. I sometimes create a new project, install all the dependencies as usual, then compare the versions between the real project and the new project.

Note: after doing this, yarn outdated (or the npm equivalent) will likely still show some things that are outdated, because expo install will not install the latest version of each library, if the latest version is not compatible with the version of the Expo SDK you are using.

Then, you should check the documentation for the third party deps to see if you have to do anything as a result of the upgrades.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.