Genymotion is not responding. Error

So this is what I have done,(windows)
installed Expo XDE.
installed Android Studio
installed Genymotion
changed Genymotions settings to “Use custom Android SDK tools” (found successfully)
created a blank project on Expo XDE
device - Open on Android

And the log throws this:
"Couldn’t start project on Android: could not install smartsocket listener: cannot bind to 127.0.0.1:5037: Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. (10048)
could not read ok from ADB Server

• failed to start daemon *
    error: cannot connect to daemon"

running adb devices
returns

List of devices attached
192.168.206.101:5555    device

Just to get this right, you set the exp path like described here in Step 2, right? This fixxed it for me, got the exact same error as you and had the device listed correctly under adb devices.
I think the problem was although Genymotion had the right Android SDK, Expo didn’t, because I didn’t set the path. Please try this and share your result.

I am also stuck with the same issue. I have tried all possible steps including the one which @marianoweber has suggessted. But still stuck at the same place!

Did you add the android sdk path to your path variable before running exp path?

Yes. I have added. This is the issue which i am facing. Earlier i thought it is because of the absense of vt-x, which is not available in my system. I was unable to add android devices above 5.0. I am only able to add devices below 4.2.2. My genymotion virtual serverbox issue is sorted out. But with this, i am getting stuck in the last step.

Hey guys. Hopefully I can help out. This is pretty straight forward once you know what to do.

20,000 foot view… Expo needs to know where to run the Android adb tool and it can only know via the operating systems Environment Variables.

There is NO NEED to install the anything from Google. Set up correctly everything works with only Expo and Genymotion.

First, figure out where Genymotion installs it’s version of the Android adb.exe tool.
For me, on Windows 10 64-bit, it’s C:\Program Files\Genymobile\Genymotion\tools

It’s kind pain to set the Environment Variables via command line, so we’ll do it in the GUI.

1. Close XDE, Expo CLI, and any other open command line terminals. They only pick up changes to Environment Variables upon opening.

2. Open your Start menu and type environment. You should see a quick link to the system environment variables. Open it.

3. Click the Environment Variables... button.

4. Select the Path variable in your user variables sections and click Edit.

5. Click New

6. Add the path to the Android adb.exe tool installed by Genymotion.

7. Click OK, OK, OK to close all the way out and save.

8. Start up the Genymotion virtual device.

9. Start up the Expo XDE and open a project.

10. Click Device > Open on Android

11. Expo for Android will download, install on the device, and open!

14 Likes

http://hathaway.cc/post/69201163472/how-to-edit-your-path-environment-variables-on-mac

Will it be useful for mac users?

1 Like

Thanks for your answer it solved the problem I was having!

1 Like

Is there a guide for how to set the env variable in Ubuntu? I install exp & ran ‘exp path’ command & printed the path. However, my Expo XDE is none the wiser. Where do I have to store this env variable?

Thanks for looking into this.

1 Like

man you are a life saver thank you so so much really i had stuck in this issue from today’s morning Hat’s off

1 Like

OH my God!!! Finally someone managed to help! Thanks a lot!!!
And thanks a lot to @williamwlchan for the link!

I just added afterwards ‘exp path’ and that worked fine! Cheers!!!

P.S This should be added to the Docs!!!

1 Like

Hey Guys,

I was also stuck on a mac, so here is a step-by-step guide that worked for me. It might be a bit too detailed but I wanted to make it as easy to follow as possible. I was missing some key points and spent way too much time figuring out what was wrong in the original documentation, so this might be helpful to you as well:

Option 1: Use Android Studio’s tools

• ‘Install Android Studio.’ - search google for it, download and install it. also, install genymotion
  • ‘Go to Configure → SDK Manager.’ - open Android Studio and do this
  • ‘In SDK Manager, make sure you are in Appearance & Behaviour → System Settings → Android SDK. Your SDK and tools are in the box that says Android SDK Location. Remember this location!’ - check if you have all the tools installed as indicated in the latest expo genymotion documentation
  • ‘If you are on macOS or Linux, add the Android SDK location to your PATH using ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_rc.’ - open finder and go to your root directory (it is on the left side with a small house icon) and press ‘cmd+shift+.’ that will bring up the hidden files. look for .bash_profile or .bash_rc file and open with text editor. now, type in a new line:
    export ANDROID_HOME=/Users/username/Library/Android/sdk
    and substitute your ‘username’ to your username. you can double check if this is the right path on the top of the window in ‘Android SDK Location’ box that you opened in the previous step
  • ‘On macOS, you will also need to add platform-tools to your ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bash_rc., by adding a line like export PATH=/Users/myuser/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools:$PATH’ - in the same file from previous step, add the following line:
    export PATH=/Users/username/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools:$PATH
    and again write in your correct username and save the file
  • ‘Make sure that you can run adb from your terminal.’ - this was the part where I got stuck, the easiest way is to enter the following commands in your terminal (line by line):
echo 'export PATH=$PATH:~/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools/' >> ~/.bash_profile
source ~/.bash_profile
adb devices
  • ‘Open Genymotion and navigate to Settings → ADB. Select “Use custom Android SDK tools” and update with your Android SDK location:’ - just use the same location as you have seen in the Android SDK manager
  • ‘Start Genymotion’

Step 2: Set your path in XDE

• ‘Run npm install -g exp to install exp globally.’ just run npm install -g exp in the terminal
  • ‘Then run exp path. This will save your PATH environment variable so that XDE knows where to find your Android tools.’ - just run exp path in the terminal

Now start Expo XDE and after opening the project choose ‘open on Android’. It should work fine now. If this guide helped for you please share which part was problematic for you, maybe the Expo guys will add extra info in the documentation to the most problematic parts. Thx!

Thanks! That helped me also.

1 Like

even if i am unable to install genymotion could you plzzz help me

I have a project in XDE that loads in the Expo app on my phone, I have Genymotion set up and configured to look for the Android tools in the official SDK, and exp path includes Genymotion/tools/. When I open a new emulator, adb devices reports correctly and XDE identifies an Android device, but when I try to open the project in the emulator, XDE reports Opening on Android device and nothing happens.

Thanks for your solved the problem I was having! :smile:

1 Like

I resolved this problem by following steps:
1: like @gollyjer said: Add adb path to let expo know where adb is : Expo needs to know where to run the Android adb tool and it can only know via the operating systems Environment Variables
2: if you already installed sdk before, please re-check and remove it from PATH environment. for my case: E:\Android\sdk\platform-tools (I added when I install Androistudio )

I did the tutorial but still did not solve the problem. please help me

1 Like

hey gollyjer, Thank you so much. It’s worked for me !!

I dont think we need Genymotion anymore. Android Studios emulators itself it quite fast now after the latest release now.