Getting Black Screen instead of login screen behind biometric popup

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: Expo 38
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): Android

We are using expo-local-authentication(v 9.1.1) for biometric authentication. It is working fine except for Samsung phones. Instead of getting the biometric popup on top of Login Screen, It opens black Screen and opens biometric popup inside that black Screen. Please find the image below.

Is there any way we can customise that so that the biometric popup opens on top of the login screen instead of a black screen.

reproduced code: LocalAuthentication - Snack

Please advice

@adamjnav @jess @wodin

Hiya - picking this up in our partner channel thread with Cruzan from yesterday.

For me the screen is slightly transparent, so I can see the AUTHENTICATE button in the background, but it is still very dark.

EDIT: Looks like this might be just how things are

It happens when you enable authentication by fingerprint, face id and iris scan. Can you please enable face Id and try.

If I enable Face Unlock it seems to disable Fingerprint unlock. If I try your snack then it only tries to detect my face instead of also allowing a fingerprint. When it does this it does show the dark overlay over the screen, but you can still see the AUTHENTICATE button behind that.

EDIT: Actually, Snack was being unreliable, so I copied the code from the Snack into a new (SDK 38 if that matters. I had to provide options to the LocalAuthentication.authenticateAsync() call) project and ran it from there.

@wodin @jess @charliecruzan
As I had mentioned in the partner channel, we see this issue only on Samsung phones with face ID. Works fine on pixel and other android phones. We tried out an Amex app (not react-native) on the same phone and it showed the app in the background. So the black screen problem seems to be only with our app. It would be a bad user experience for our Samsung customers. Any advise on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @trinet

I assume the partner channel is for Expo employees and people with a team account/support contract? I am just a random Expo user.

My testing was on a Samsung Galaxy S8. But it was just to give you another datapoint. I agree that the solid black overlay that you are getting is not great.

We tried out an Amex app (not react-native) on the same phone and it showed the app in the background. So the black screen problem seems to be only with our app. It would be a bad user experience for our Samsung customers. Any advise on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.