How do I update the app after changing exp.json?

I’m trying to change orientation to default. I changed it in exp.json and restarted the project, but it is still locked in portrait mode. Do I have to do something else?

can you paste your exp.json here?

also, you aren’t using a standalone app, right? you are just developing in the expo client?

{
  "name": "react-native-index-cards",
  "description": "An empty new project",
  "slug": "react-native-index-cards",
  "privacy": "public",
  "sdkVersion": "17.0.0",
  "version": "1.0.0",
  "orientation": "default",
  "primaryColor": "#cccccc",
  "icon": "./assets/icons/app.png",
  "loading": {
    "icon": "./assets/icons/loading.png",
    "hideExponentText": false
  },
  "packagerOpts": {
    "assetExts": ["ttf", "mp4"]
  },
  "ios": {
    "supportsTablet": true
  }
}

The only thing I changed was the orientation. I tried changing it to landscape also and it didn’t update.

I just downloaded the latest version of expo and started a new project. I changed orientation to default in app.json before ever opening the project and it still didn’t update. I was able to get it working with ScreenOrientation, though.

1 Like

Same here, using expo client orientation doesn’t work, expo client apparently works in portrait mode, if you use de new screen orientation api, you could handle this

hi! you’re totally right. this is a bug that was introduced in SDK 18.

i filed an issue for it here so you can track it: "orientation" key in app.json configuration doesn't have any effect in SDK 18 · Issue #323 · expo/expo · GitHub

in the meantime, you can use the workaround mentioned in this thread of the runtime orientation control.

sorry about the bug!