How do I upload the IPA file to TestFlight?

I downloaded the IPA file and created the APP in iTunes Connect. How do I upload the IPA file to TestFlight?

2 Likes

Pls read expo docs, they have all the info to do it

Hey @vincentwordtoday, here is a link to the docs: https://docs.expo.io/versions/latest/guides/building-standalone-apps.html#55---uploading-your-ios-ipa-to-testflight

The docs might be little light in this area, as I too had some difficulty figuring this part out.

In Xcode, select the Xcode menu → Open Developer Tool → Application Loader. Here you can import & upload your .ipa file to iTunesConnect.

8 Likes

Have you been able to log in to Application Loader? For some reason it always rejects my AppleID, Password. Same issue in https://forums.developer.apple.com/message/247956#247956 and Sign In - Apple

Are there other ways of uploading the file?

2 Likes

Do you have an account set up with iTunes Connect? Maybe an issue with 2FA being enabled on your account (#161)?

I think the other way would be to detach from expo and upload through Xcode, but I’d assume you’d run into the same issue with your credentials.

I can’t upload my IPA file through Application Loader because it always rejects my AppleID, Password.

I can’t upload my IPA file through Application Loader because it always rejects my AppleID, Password.

Yes, I have an account set up with iTunes Connect. I try to upload the IPA file through Application Loader, but it always rejects mine rejects my AppleID, Password.

I can upload my IPA file through Application Loader now. Many thanks to all of you.

1 Like

For me also AppleID 2FA was an issue, when I disabled it I could log in into Application Loader.

I encountered 2 issues:

Resolving these fixed it :slight_smile:

Instead of using the password you normally use to login with, use APP-SPECIFIC Passwords, which you can use to sign with instead, to bypass 2-factor issues. You can create a password here: Apple ID. This will help you log into Application Loader in Xcode.

TestFlight is a platform provided by Apple that allows you to send a testable version of your app to specific beta users. It’s important to realize this is different than the App Store (which is available to the general public). Once you send a user a TestFlight invitation, they must download the TestFlight app where they can download and use a specific version of your app for 60 days.

Steps

The distinct identifier for every app is its bundle identifier. (Conventionally, you normally use your domain in reverse and the app name to form the bundle identifier).

We used to have to go to developer.apple.com to register the bundle ID. However, you can now do it in Xcode. Click on the Project -> Capabilities. You can toggle one of these switches (I normally choose In-App Purchases). It will then register a bundle ID on developer.apple.com for you!

Now that you have a bundle ID, go to http://itunesconnect.apple.com/ and register your App.

Next, go to the TestFlight tab and click on the iOS TestFlight Builds sidebar item.

Currently there are no builds uploaded to iTunes Connect. So, let’s add one.

Go to your project on Xcode. Choose to build your app for a Generic iOS Device.

Then go to Product -> Archive

This may take a minute or two. What you are doing is creating an archive of your current build so that you can submit it to Apple. Once done, Xcode Organizer will open with an option on the right hand side to “Upload to the App Store”.

Note : This just uploads the build to the iTunes Connect site, you still have to do some stuff on iTunes Connect’s site to share the app with others on TestFlight.

If everything works properly you will get the below message:

However, it is very common to not get everything right on the first go.

One very common reasons for this is that you already have an archive uploaded to iTunes Connect with the same Major, Minor, and Build number. The numbers are pretty arbitrary but make sure to increment one of the three numbers with every new archive you send to iTunes Connect.
Another common mistake is not having an App icon or all the necessary App Icon Assets. Feel free to use. It allows you to upload one big App icon and spits out all the necessary App Icon assets for iPhone and iPad 1X, 2X, and 3X sizes.

If you go back to the TestFlight tab and click on the iOS TestFlight Builds sidebar item you will now see that your archive is being processed by iTunes Connect. This should take ~15 mins and you will receive an email when done.