IOS app delivery fails due to missing icon

I just tried to deliver a new version of my app to the iTunes store and ran into this error:

ERROR ITMS-90023: “Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly ‘167x167’ pixels, in .png format for iOS versions supporting iPad Pro.”

I’ve made a couple of builds before without issues and with the same icon (1024x1024 without transparency). So the icon should be fine. This problem occurs since updating to SDK23 and after I updated the expo command line tooling.

Do you guys know how I can fix this issue.

Kind regards,

Jordy

hi-

i think your problem might be that you are using an outdated version of Xcode and the Application Loader for your submission.

Can you try making sure you are upgraded to the newest non-beta version of Xcode and lmk what happens?

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your reply. I upgraded Xcode to 9.1 and am using the latest version of Mac OS (High Sierra). I stil experience problems when uploading my build. However this time i get two messages about missing icons:

ERROR ITMS-90023: “Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly ‘167x167’ pixels, in .png format for iOS versions supporting iPad Pro.”

ERROR ITMS-90023: “Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly ‘152x152’ pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0.”

Any other solutions to fix this issue? As I said before, with the same app icon I was able to upload a couple of builds before.

Jordy

I just tried my first upload after upgrading to SDKv23. Uploaded with Fastlane and received this error:

WARNING ITMS-90704: "Missing App Store Icon. iOS Apps must include a 1024x1024px App Store Icon in PNG format

I resized the app icon to 1024x1024 and upgraded Fastlane, and now the Fastlane upload fails with all of these:

ERROR ITMS-90022: “Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPhone / iPod Touch of exactly ‘120x120’ pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0.”
ERROR ITMS-90023: “Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly ‘76x76’ pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0.”
ERROR ITMS-90023: “Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly ‘152x152’ pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0.”

Are SDKv23 iOS builds broken?

I had the same error after upgrading to SDK 23 on uploading my ipa with fastlane:

Using ApplicationLoader 3.7 and newest XCode solved that for me.

In regards to the warning:

You can upload this icon in iTunesConnect directly.

So I created a new build and this time made sure there where no alpha values in the icon and that I updated to the latest versions of XCode (9.1 9B55) and Application Loader (3.7 1034) but still no luck. I even tried to resize my icon back to 512x512 but also no luck. I also tried to upload using my collegues machine, which runs on Sierra, but still no luck.

I’m starting to feel like this is an issue in SDK23…

@expo team, can you verify if everything is working correctly since the release of the latest SDK?

Did one more try and removed this line expo.ios.icon from my app.json so that it will use the icon set at expo.icon which is in fact the very same icon and somehow Application Loader accepted this build. So my problem is solved for know but it’s kind off a very weird workaround…

Received this warning upon upgrading to SDK23

We have discovered one or more issues with your recent delivery for “Color of Wine”. Your delivery was successful, but you may wish to correct the following issues in your next delivery:

Missing App Store Icon - iOS Apps must include a 1024x1024px App Store Icon in PNG format. Without providing the icon in the Asset Catalog or via iTunes Connect, apps cannot be submitted for App Review or Beta App Review. Refer to App Icons - Foundations - Human Interface Guidelines - Design - Apple Developer for more information.

After you’ve corrected the issues, you can use Xcode or Application Loader to upload a new binary to iTunes Connect.

With this error following when re-submitting with 1024 x 1024 PNG

ERROR ITMS-90022: “Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPhone / iPod Touch of exactly ‘120x120’ pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0.”
ERROR ITMS-90023: “Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly ‘76x76’ pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0.”

Same issue. When using a 512x512 png I was warned that I didn’t have a 1024x1024 icon. When I swapped in a 1024x1024 icon, I get the following errors:

ERROR ITMS-90022: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPhone / iPod Touch of exactly '120x120' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0."
ERROR ITMS-90023: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly '76x76' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0."
ERROR ITMS-90023: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly '167x167' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions supporting iPad Pro."
ERROR ITMS-90023: "Missing required icon file. The bundle does not contain an app icon for iPad of exactly '152x152' pixels, in .png format for iOS versions >= 7.0."

Here’s my app.json

{
 "expo": {
    "name": "Hello World",
    "icon": "./app/assets/images/app-icon.png",
    "version": "1.0.0",
    "slug": "mobile",
    "sdkVersion": "22.0.0",
    "ios": {
      "bundleIdentifier": "com.helloworld.mobile",
      "supportsTablet": true
    },
    "android": {
      "package": "com.helloworld.mobile"
    }
  }
}

Hi all, we’re working on a fix and are tracking the issue here.

1 Like