iOS build failing: "Error while gathering & validating credentials", "Request failed with status code 404"

Since last evening I’ve been hitting this error when trying to run EXP_DEBUG=true exp build:ios --release-channel prod (note I have axios-debug-logging installed, was hoping to see which URL was causing the 404 error):

? How would you like to upload your credentials?
 Expo handles all credentials, you can still provide overrides

We need your Apple ID/password to manage certificates and
provisioning profiles from your Apple Developer account.

Note: Expo does not keep your Apple ID or your Apple password.

? What's your Apple ID? REDACTED
? Password? [hidden]
[14:52:09] Validating Credentials...
To run _spaceship_ through a local proxy, use SPACESHIP_DEBUG

[14:52:11] You have 2 teams
1) REDACTED
2) REDACTED
? Which Team ID to use? 2) REDACTED
To run _spaceship_ through a local proxy, use SPACESHIP_DEBUG

? Will you provide your own Distribution Certificate? Let Expo handle the process
? Will you provide your own Push Certificate? Let Expo handle the process
? Would you like to reuse Distribution Certificate from another app? Used in apps: REDACTED
⠙ Now producing files for pushCertTo run _spaceship_ through a local proxy, use SPACESHIP_DEBUG

⠙ Now producing files for provisioningProfileTo run _spaceship_ through a local proxy, use SPACESHIP_DEBUG

[14:52:26] Error while gathering & validating credentials
[14:52:26] Error: Request failed with status code 404
[14:52:26] Request failed with status code 404
[14:52:26] Error: Request failed with status code 404
    at createError (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/axios/lib/core/createError.js:16:15)
    at settle (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/axios/lib/core/settle.js:18:12)
    at IncomingMessage.handleStreamEnd (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/axios/lib/adapters/http.js:191:11)
    at IncomingMessage.emit (events.js:187:15)
    at endReadableNT (_stream_readable.js:1081:12)
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:63:19)

My environment and setup is as follows:

Environment:
  Node: 10.4.0
  Yarn: 1.7.0
  npm: 6.1.0
  Watchman: 4.9.0
  Xcode: Xcode 9.2 Build version 9C40b
  Android Studio: 3.0 AI-171.4443003

Packages: (wanted => installed)
  expo: ^27.0.1 => 27.0.2
  react: 16.3.1 => 16.3.1
  react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-27.0.0.tar.gz => 0.55.2

Diagnostics report:
  https://exp-xde-diagnostics.s3.amazonaws.com/drive.ai-72f2f06d-4360-4799-baec-eb9ba2a07bf9.tar.gz

I noticed that another developer has run into the same issue today: exp build:ios Error while gathering & validating credentials (status code 404)

It does not appear transient however: I have been hitting this 404 error now for over 12 hours no matter how many times I retry.

exp build:ios Error while gathering & validating credentials (status code 404)

Adding more debug logging, we see this as the failing URL (same as “nfen” saw in exp build:ios Error while gathering & validating credentials (status code 404)):

{ hostname: 'exp.host',
  port: null,
  path: '/--/api/updateCredentials/%5B%5D',
  method: 'post',
  headers:
   { Accept: 'application/json, text/plain, */*',
     'Content-Type': 'application/json;charset=utf-8',
     'Exp-ClientId': 'c--kniJmVRQyitCtNZoDg8aw',
     'Expo-Session':
      '{"id":"c7e31cb8-b202-4c39-b607-a5c4255f215d","version":1,"expires_at":1893456000000}',
     'User-Agent': 'axios/0.16.2',
     'Content-Length': 17130 },
  agent: undefined,
  auth: undefined }

Hi, we’re looking into this. It looks like there are some DB entries that fail some invariants. We are adding some more diagnostics to figure out the root cause right now.

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I’m looking forward to hearing from You!

Awesome! Thanks a ton for getting onto this so quickly, it’s much appreciated.

@drive.ai
Hello,
I just deployed a fix, which should probably let you build your app again.
I’m curious about one thing. Did you change bundle_identifier in your app.json? I guess this was causing the problem on our servers.
Sorry for the trouble.

1 Like

@dsokal & @ide

it’s working well now. I’ve built successfully.
I really appreciated your support.
Thank You so much!

Cheer Expo Team!

1 Like

@ide: thanks so much for expediting the fix to this issue, it is very much appreciated! I am indeed back to building successfully.

I had been building different release channels (test, prod) with different bundle IDs, but the build that was failing for me was our main bundle ID (ai.drive.app) which I had built many times successfully before. Maybe it was that anyway?

Either way, thank you again very much. Cheers Expo team indeed!! :beers:

Yes, we believe the issue matches the symptoms you were seeing. We had a database constraint that didn’t allow for changing native bundle IDs while keeping the same Expo project name. That constraint now allows for changes to bundle IDs.

1 Like

I am facing the same issue.

12:37:33 [exp] Validating Credentials…
12:37:35 [exp] Error while gathering & validating credentials
12:37:35 [exp] Reason:Unknown reason, raw:"{\"authType\"=>\"sa\"}\naa=1D404262C361DDFDE1F94F29CE1C3ADB; Domain=idmsa.apple.com; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly, dslang=US-EN; Domain=apple.com; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly, site=USA; Domain=apple.com; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly, acn01=81yX8PlM2WiIMr6cPP5Dh+SF9r7v0rv+/7shukN2agAdHVOkmklD; Max-Age=31536000; Expires=Tue, 02-Jul-2019 07:07:35 GMT; Domain=apple.com; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly"

Here is the stack trace:

12:47:28 [exp] Error: Reason:Unknown reason, raw:"{\"authType\"=>\"sa\"}\naa=CC9E16D329C2C679028B043BDEF9DDFA; Domain=idmsa.apple.com; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly, dslang=US-EN; Domain=apple.com; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly, site=USA; Domain=apple.com; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly, acn01=5dOFRwf6Ybj82MUUteNnANOZ+eA+WhTeITLYyTOvogAdHd2hfXeY; Max-Age=31536000; Expires=Tue, 02-Jul-2019 07:17:27 GMT; Domain=apple.com; Path=/; Secure; HttpOnly"
    at Object._callee4$ (/exp@54.0.0/src/commands/build/auth.js:127:11)
    at tryCatch (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:62:40)
    at Generator.invoke [as _invoke] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:296:22)
    at Generator.prototype.(anonymous function) [as next] (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/regenerator-runtime/runtime.js:114:21)
    at step (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/babel-runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:17:30)
    at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/babel-runtime/helpers/asyncToGenerator.js:28:13
    at <anonymous>
    at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:188:7)

All good mate, updated my exp to latest version, then I got the reason.

[13:05:15] Reason:Unknown reason, raw:“Need to acknowledge to Apple’s Apple ID and Privacy statement. Please manually log into https://appleid.apple.com (or https://itunesconnect.apple.com) to acknowledge the statement.”

Did that manually, now it’s fine.

Hope this will help, if anyone else is facing this issue.
Thanks.

closed #12

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.