Is it possible to implement Expo Push Notifications without using a Firebase backend

“Firebase Cloud Messaging is required for all standalone Android apps made with Expo.”

I’m a little bit unclear on what the above means. Can I use FCM even though I didn’t use Firebase to built my backend?

Am I able to create a free Firebase project and link it to my app just for the sole purpose of handling push notifications for Android?

Cheers

Yes, you can!

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply. Much appreciated.

1 Like

Hi Adam

One more question. I’m expecting possibly thousands of notifications to be sent out to my user base on a daily basis. Is this possible with a free Firebase project, or will I need to upgrade to a paid version?

Thanks

You’ll only need to upgrade to a paid version if you are using firebase’s cloud functions to call Expo’s push API as you need to be on a paid plan for connections to outside services to work.

1 Like

Yes, I have the code if you want, I CAN Share here

I know this post is a bit old but,
I’ve been using expo for multiple apps, and I don’t have any FCM/Firebase setup for them whatsoever, and push notification just works, both for iOS and Android. Am I missing something? I just checked the documentation and on this (link) section it says that you HAVE to set up firebase in order to make it work on Android, but I haven’t, and… it works!
@adamjnav , any thoughts?

I have experienced the same.

I just used the normal guide on the expo documentation for push notifications, and it just worked on Android. Not sure if I should (and even how I should) integrate with FCM.

Hopefully he replies soon.

Dear sir, how the firebase charges per a notification when we using firebase’s cloud functions to call Expo’s push API

Can you please share the code example

please share the code example