Location service rate limit error on iOS

EDIT: It appears to be working now. If possible I’d like to see if I can confirm with someone from the Expo team if there was some sort of outage with the service Expo uses under the hood.

  1. SDK Version: 39.0.0
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS 14.1 (iPhone 8)

We just launched an app to the App Store today (yay!) and everything is working great except for the Expo Location service which is having issues and I’m trying to determine why that might be. The app is running Location.getLastKnownPositionAsync which is working just fine and giving back device coordinates, and then Location.reverseGeocodeAsync is run using those coords and this is where it fails. The request doesn’t respond for about 10 seconds and then I get the error Rate limit exceeded - too many requests

This was working fine last week so I’m wondering if there’s maybe a recent SDK update we need to get or something along those lines. As a note we did test it on an Android device and it works fine there. It doesn’t work on the official production app or on the Expo client when running a local dev server when testing on an iOS device.

Please let me know if there’s any more information I can provide for you and I’ll get it right over to you.

Thanks!

This might be it, this is from the expo documentation.

**Note** : Geocoding is resource consuming and has to be used reasonably. Creating too many requests at a time can result in an error so they have to be managed properly. It's also discouraged to use geocoding while the app is in the background and its results won't be shown to the user immediately.

It is a very interesting post to read. I learnt new information from your article!