Multiple Video Components

I’ve experienced the exact same issue, causing me to have to detach. Here’s a snack I just created: Expo.Video crash - Snack

In my snack, I showcase how ErrorBoundaries don’t work in this case. Additionally, after detaching and using react-native-video, my app never crashes anymore. Even if I lift the 3 rendered video restriction (mentioned below), the app still functions. Only a handful of videos will actually display at any given time, but the app won’t crash.

My more-stable-but-still-unacceptable-number-of-crashes solution was to only ever render up to 3 or 4 videos a time. All other videos would be un-rendered and replaced with a static image. This was all managed with Mobx. Unfortunately, there were still crashes, especially when switching between screens.

My gut tells me that crashes still happened because React simply won’t give us enough timing control over when videos render/unrender, so despite our best efforts, we still can’t guarantee that only X videos are rendered at any given time. In other words, it might not be possible to fully wait for a video to unrender before we think it unrenders.

This is a HUGE issue for me, as I’ve had to detach. As such, my push notifications no longer work through Expo (expected). However, what was unexpected is the fact that setting up PushNotificationIOS via the official React docs (in a fresh CRNA detached repo) simply doesn’t work. Xcode complains about missing headers. 🚧 PushNotificationIOS · React Native. I’ve also tried using other libs like react-native-onesignal, but I run into similar issues.

I’ll be filing the push notifications bug under separate cover.