New update available, downloading...

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 38
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): IOS

Expo IOS client hangs in splash screen with “New update available, downloading…”

This happens on any new release channel.

6 Likes

I just ran into the issue. Impossible to launch the app in neither android or iOs. It is stuck on “New update available, downloading…”.

SDK: 39

Edit: After restarting the computer, it now eventually throws

Failed to connect to debugger!
Timeout while connecting to remote debugger

Is this when you’re opening a published project (expo publish) or running the project locally with expo start? It might be helpful to know your environment info (run expo diagnostics)

Hello!

I have the exact same problem, I have published an app with SDK 37.0.0 and from some phones scanning the QR code from the apps page works, while in mine (Huawei Mate 20 Lite) it hangs in “New update available, Downloading…”.

I have tried restarting the phone, clearing the cache of the Expo Client, reinstalling the client, and the problem still remains.

¿Any clue on how to debug this?
Thx!

I managed to fix it by doing this:

• expo upgrade (force upgrade)
  • delete the node_modules folder
  • delete package-lock.json
  • npm install

I think the expo upgrade part can be skipped if you wish to stay on SDK 37.

2 Likes

Same problem when I publish my application. I have 2 Android phones, it’s run on the first one but on the other I alway have Expo client hangs in splash screen with “New update available, downloading…”.
I have to kill the Expo client “linked” to the application who try to load new update, (but not Expo client himself) and the second time I ask for my application it’s run. But this is not a fix, because if I switch off my Android phone and try to lunch my application, I have again the splash screen with “New update available, downloading…”.
1- I try to desinstall Expo client on the Android phone and re-install : Not running.
2- I try to delete node_modules folder, delete package-lock.json, npm install, expo start, Re publish with another url : Not running.
3- My environment on the laptop who publish the application (run expo diagnostics ) :
Expo CLI 3.27.14 environment info:
System:
Shell: 5.0.17 - /bin/bash
Binaries:
Node: 14.13.0 - /usr/bin/node
Yarn: 1.22.0 - ~/.yarn/bin/yarn
npm: 6.14.8 - /usr/bin/npm
npmPackages:
expo: ~36.0.0 => 36.0.2
react: ~16.9.0 => 16.9.0
react-dom: ~16.9.0 => 16.9.0
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-36.0.0.tar.gz => 0.61.4
react-native-web: ~0.11.7 => 0.11.7
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 3.27.14
Expo Workflow: managed

This is what I did.

I test my app on an Android Studio Emulator and whenever it gets stuck, I close the app instance from the ‘Recent apps drawer’ on Android.

Don’t close the Expo app you use to launch the RN app.
You should only close the RN app instance you’re working on.
Closing both of them, would lead to the same problem again.

1 Like

I am having this problem as well. Client constantly showing “New update available, downloading” message. App only loads sometimes. Client version 2.17.4, Expo-cli version 2.28.2.

Roll back to the previous working code and incrementally add your new code. This is how I found a bug that was causing this issue

i have the same issue. any can resolved it??

this is my expo diagnostics

Expo CLI 3.13.8 environment info:
System:
Shell: 3.2.57 - /bin/bash
Binaries:
Node: 12.18.2 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v12.18.2/bin/node
Yarn: 1.22.10 - /usr/local/bin/yarn
npm: 6.14.5 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v12.18.2/bin/npm
IDEs:
Android Studio: 3.4 AI-183.6156.11.34.5692245
Xcode: /undefined - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
npmPackages:
expo: ~39.0.2 => 39.0.4
react: 16.13.1 => 16.13.1
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-39.0.4.tar.gz => 0.63.2

I have the same issue. Really frustrating because you have to wait when you start the simulator for the first time.

What was the bug you found?

I have same problem…

My phone android say:

"New update available, downloading…”.

I have same problem.
expo diagnostics:
Expo CLI 3.28.5 environment info:
System:
Shell: 5.7.1 - /bin/zsh
Binaries:
Node: 12.18.4 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v12.18.4/bin/node
Yarn: 1.22.4 - /usr/local/bin/yarn
npm: 6.14.6 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v12.18.4/bin/npm
Watchman: 4.9.0 - /usr/local/bin/watchman
Managers:
CocoaPods: 1.9.3 - /usr/local/bin/pod
SDKs:
iOS SDK:
Platforms: iOS 14.0, DriverKit 19.0, macOS 10.15, tvOS 14.0, watchOS 7.0
IDEs:
Android Studio: 4.0 AI-193.6911.18.40.6626763
Xcode: 12.0.1/12A7300 - /usr/bin/xcodebuild
npmPackages:
expo: ^39.0.0 => 39.0.3
react-dom: 16.13.1 => 16.13.1
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-39.0.3.tar.gz => 0.63.2
react-navigation: ^4.3.9 => 4.3.9
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 3.28.5
I have faced with this problem when using android real device. The device has api level 23. The android emulator and ios simulator work fine. Any idea why it’s happening? Or any solution?

We’re also receiving this error. This has only begun to happen when we published to a release channel.

The error is occurring both in the expo app on android, and the emulator on the project page itself.

Expo CLI 3.27.12 environment info:
System:
Shell: 5.8 - /usr/bin/zsh
Binaries:
Node: 14.9.0 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v14.9.0/bin/node
npm: 6.14.8 - ~/.nvm/versions/node/v14.9.0/bin/npm
npmPackages:
expo: ^39.0.0 => 39.0.5
react-dom: 16.13.1 => 16.13.1
react-native: https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-39.0.3.tar.gz => 0.63.2
react-native-web: ~0.13.7 => 0.13.18
npmGlobalPackages:
expo-cli: 3.27.12

Clearing app data in phone settings worked for me

3 Likes

I went to Setting ->Apps->Expo->Storage and clear storage,cache .Sometimes it works, sometimes not, I don’t know why, it happens very randomly

5 Likes

We seem to be having the same issue but with our Android version. When testing on Android it loads perfectly fine after build, however, when we publish it our users are stuck in the “New update available, downloading…” screen. We had a device that had the old expo version (before it turned into “expo go”) and both IOS and Android seem to work fine there, we believe the issue is with expo but we are unsure.

We are on SDK Version: 37, expo-cli 3.28.6. I have tried the suggested actions but none seem to do the trick (again, the app works fine when testing using npm start just does not seem to load on public release).

What solved this issue for me was messing with the display configuration on my phone. The following seems to have done the trick for me:

• Setting ‘Screen resolution’ to the highest resolution (2960x1440 in my case)
  • Setting ‘Screen zoom’ (display scaling) to the lowest setting (smallest text)

Running on Expo Go v2.18.7 on a Samsung Galaxy S9 running Android 10.

I hope the above steps will save someone all the mucking around this issue caused me!

(on Expo SDK v37, btw)