Not able to add existing project into expo

I have a project created using react-native init project-name. I am not used ‘create-react-native-app’ as it is not supporting native code as per document.

To add existing project into expo, I used command npm install --save expo. But it is giving me warning as

npm WARN react-native-gesture-handler@1.0.0-alpha.22 requires a peer of react@> 15.0.0 but none was installed.

npm WARN react-native-branch@2.0.0-beta.3 requires a peer of react@>=15.4.0 but none was installed.

Then I used yarn add expo and added project into expo. But on XDE I am getting following error message. I am not sure what is going wrong here.

Warning: Unable to resolve manifest assets. Icons might not work. Unable to perform cache refresh for /Users/sujit/.expo/cache/schema-21.0.1.json: XDLError: Invalid JSON returned from API: SyntaxError: Unexpected token N in JSON at position 0. Response body: Not Found.

I’m affected by the same error.

I am getting the same error when trying to import an existing project. The error seems to indicate an issue with importing some icons, but I do not think I have any special icons imported into my project.

I also have the same problem. Any idea on how to resolve this?

Hey there, the recommended workflow here would just be to use exp init (or create-react-native-app) to make a new project, then copy your existing JS over to that project. If you need custom native functionality that isn’t included in Expo, Expo projects can detach to ExpoKit.

The “icons might not work” error message is a bit misleading, sorry. It’s a symptom of having an invalid sdkVersion key in your Expo app.json.