"Open in browser" on project page not working

When I visit this project, I cannot open the app in the browser. The Appetize.io window launches, Expo eventually loads in the remote simulator, but instead of opening the app, it opens the project page in Safari. Then, when I click on “Open in Expo” on that page, Expo says there’s no experience at that URL.

When the project page opens in Safari, it’s missing the release channel. I’m not currently publishing to the default release channel, so it makes sense that that fails to load. However, I’m not sure why it doesn’t just load the app the first time, as I’ve seen it do for snacks (e.g. in the React Native documentation).

FWIW, I was able to open the app successfully by manually typing the entire URL (release channel included) in the simulator window - but obviously that’s not ideal. :slight_smile:

This is currently my best fallback plan for easier PR app reviews (since the client app can’t open projects outside one’s account anymore), so it would be great to figure this out. Thanks!

UPDATE: turns out I can open this successfully:

https://expo.io/appetize-simulator?url=https://expo.io/@theliturgists/app%3Frelease-channel=9f3dcfe8f7fa7bad0c7808dc5e6144a0a1516979

So I’m guessing it’s just a very simple bug with the project page. :tada:

It still opens in Safari, but it’s a start! And much better than typing that giant hex string. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for reporting this @brettdh, I’ll take a look :slight_smile:

Thanks for the response. In the meantime, I’m working around it by linking directly to appetize; see this PR comment for an example.

I figured this wouldn’t be a problem, since this is effectively what Snack and the Expo project pages are doing anyway - plus it involves less clicking for reviewers. If there’s a better way to accomplish this, please let me know. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry about the delay on this. I’ve committed some code that corrects this. It should be pushed up to production later today.

Thanks for using Expo! And let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.