Pop-up / Heads-Up Push Notifications on Android

I am currently testing push notifications on Android device and noticed that although I get the notifications, they are not popped up. I need to drag down the top status bar (as per picture)

I am not sure about this, but someone suggested that this feature is called Heads-Up push notification (unlike iPhone which works correctly). I have looked into the [relevant documentation] where it mentions that setting the priority to max will send the notification as heads-up. I used the Expo push notification tool and entered {priority: “max”} in the Android channelId field but did not work. Is this supported or I am doing something wrong? (Notifications - Expo Documentation).

Even if it’s not a full blow heads-up, I cannot understand why the push notification on Android is not popping up like when you receive an email from Gmail and you get the notification on the screen (not heads-up).

I discovered that these are known as Floating Notifications. Does anyone know what permissions I need to ask the user to have these floating notifications?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.