Possible to specify release channel dynamically for EAS Build?

Hey, I was wondering if there is, or is going to be, a way to specify a release channel at build time - in our case defined by the CI runner, specifically the branch name. So far I understood that you can create a profile that contains a release channel, but say I want to make it automatic, without manually creating the profile for every branch it’s gonna be ran on…?

With the old publish service and managed workflow, it was super easy to do just by passing in a cli argument, e.g. expo publish --releaseChannel=branchname, iirc.

Maybe it’s not even necessarily a release channel I’m looking for, basically just a way to mark which branch the build was ran on.

Thanks.

hey there!

our current thinking is that we will, by default, set the release channel to the current branch name. we are also interested in making it possible to tag builds with some arbitrary metadata, such as the current commit sha. what do you think of these options?

Well, that does sound like just the thing we need! Is there an ETA on this? (And the improved UI, which relates to the other question I wrote in another topic?)

i can’t promise any dates at the moment. the improved ui is being worked on, this other stuff is in the pipeline but not being worked on yet.

1 Like