Question about Limited Access to Media Library for Expo Image Picker

Please provide the following:

1. SDK Version: 39
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS

I’d like to understand how Expo ImagePicker interacts with the limited access to photos option that was introduced in iOS14.

If limited access is selected when the users is asked for permissions to the media library, and I select a single photo I find that:

1. When imagePicker is launched, I can still select any photo from my phone’s photo library. Even if I’ve only given access to one photo.
  2. If I select a photo which I haven’t been given access to, I can still do something with it (sending it to someone else, in my specific case).

Is this the expected behavior, or should the image picker only show those images that the user has granted access to?

[Edit] I tested this further where I actually deny access to the media library but I can still select any photo from the phone’s library and send it to someone else. If I want to send a photo with my camera, I can just ask for the Camera Permission (and not the CAMERA_ROLL) permission, and it’ll still work fine…

I am dealing with the same situation. This should not be the expected beahvior! You can use
MediaLibrary.getAssetsAsync() and MediaLibrary.presentPermissionsPickerAsync() to get the assets that the user has granted access to and to allow them to select more. However I haven’t figured out how to use this with image picker and only show the allowed assets.
Let me know if you find anything.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.