ReactViewGroup not displayed because it is too large to fit into a software layer (or drawing cache)

Hello,

I started getting this message a few days ago. I thought it was caused by the SDK 29 update, but then I downgraded to 28 then 27 and i’m still getting it.

ReactViewGroup not displayed because it is too large to fit into a software layer (or drawing cache), needs 12902400 bytes, only 8294400 available.

This happens when I call Expo.takeSnapshotAsync. I tried setting the quality param to 0.1 and the height and width to around 44 because I thought that might be the problem but no success.
I also tried to snapShot a simple view with a backgroundColor and some text, same error.
The strange part is that this happens only on Android in production, using the apk that’s on the Play Store.
I am not able to reproduce it by using the app via Expo, so the only way to debug this was to use adb logcat.

EDIT
I surrounded the code with try catch and got this error (still on prod):
{ [Error: Failed to capture view snapshot] framesToPop: 1, code: 'E_UNABLE_TO_SNAPSHOT' }
I search the source code for it and noticed the method captureView in expo/android/expoview/src/main/java/versioned/host/exp/exponent/modules/api/ViewShot.java at 41458d1de91544c41097818db21e44e9aa84688c · expo/expo · GitHub
causes the error.

Any idea on what causes this ?

Anyone ? My app is bugged in production because of this.

I was able to fix this issue by adding collapsable={false} to the View i was trying to snapshot and by setting it’s width and height to a fix pixels number. Setting flex: 1 or a percentage width/height wouldn’t work.
I have no idea why, but it’s the combination of these 2 params that made it for me. Furthermore, I found the collapsable property by wandering through the internet (it is mentioned no where in React-native docs) and I have no idea what it does.

Hey @emixis,

Glad you got it figured out. Sorry we couldn’t be of more help. Interesting that the collapsable property and setting a fixed value for width and height fixed it. Any ways, thank you for sharing with the community. Hopefully it helps someone in the future who encounters this issue.

Cheers,

Adam

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.