Received mail from Apple about the Deprecated API: UIWebView

Last night I received a mail from apple app store connect to tell me they are going to reject the App that using the UIWebView.

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will stop accepting submissions of apps that use UIWebView APIs . See https://developer.apple.com/documentation/uikit/uiwebview for more information.

I didn’t use the WebView in my project.
all my npm package are here:
"dependencies": { "expo": "^34.0.1", "expo-ads-admob": "^6.0.0", "expo-av": "^6.0.0", "react": "16.8.3", "react-dom": "^16.8.6", "react-native": "0.59.8", "react-native-chart-kit": "^3.2.1", "react-native-gesture-handler": "~1.3.0", "react-native-pose": "^0.9.1", "react-native-reanimated": "~1.1.0", "react-native-router-flux": "^4.0.6", "react-native-svg": "^9.5.3", "react-native-unimodules": "~0.5.2", "react-redux": "^7.1.0", "redux": "^4.0.4", "redux-persist": "^5.10.0", "redux-thunk": "^2.3.0" }, "devDependencies": { "@babel/core": "^7.0.0", "@types/react": "^16.8.23", "@types/react-native": "^0.57.65", "babel-preset-expo": "^6.0.0", "jest-expo": "^34.0.0", "typescript": "^3.4.5" },

Is there anything i can do to prevent rejecting from apple for my next update ?

9 Likes

I also received such an mail today when I uploaded a new build to app store connect. Is this something we need to act on or will a future expo sdk version fix that?

Hey @aeife,

We’ve started removing the parts of our SDK that make use of them, but there are some modules that rely on third party libraries (FBSDK for the Facebook module) that we’ll have to wait for the maintainers to do the same. In classic Apple fashion this came out of left field with no warning and we’ll have to see what they plan to do.

Cheers,
Adam

4 Likes

Do you know the timeline for Apple disallowing expo submissions?

Thank you Adam,

I submitted my app after received this email, and the good news is the app gets approval. So I think apple still accepts the apps with UIWebView for now.

By the way, is there any place i can track this progress?

cheers,
Sihan

I submitted my app 2 hours ago and received no such email? (I’m submitting an update, not a brand new submission.)

I built the binary yesterday (1 Sep). I’ll see how this turns out…

Hi,

I too have the same email from Apple. But our app does not use any webview component.

Hey @dr.joe.black, there are still modules that rely on the UIWebView component that come bundled with a Managed Expo project’s binary even if you don’t explicitly use them. That’s why you’re getting a message still.

1 Like

Hi adamjnav, I also got the same email from apple today. Based on your answer, does this mean all expo submissions will be subjected to rejections?.

Not for me. Never got the email and my app was accepted.

I generated the ios build on 1 September.

To be candid with you, we can’t be sure. What we’re doing on our end is actively removing all instances of UIWebView. So far it seems users are still getting their apps accepted though!

2 Likes

We just submitted a brand new app build yesterday to review, and the app was approved and published today, even though we did receive this exact e-mail with the message:

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will stop accepting submissions of apps that use UIWebView APIs . See UIWebView | Apple Developer Documentation for more information.

Just Received this from apple.

ITMS-90809: Deprecated API Usage - Apple will stop accepting submissions of apps that use UIWebView APIs . See Apple Developer Documentation for more information.

I got the same warning email. So, any updates on the plan and the progress?

I’m getting the same message - is there somewhere we can track progress on this?

As far as I can see this work has been done, and should be included in SDK 35.

As you can see here the only remaining references to UIWebView are in the URL for a stackoverflow question. On the sdk-34 branch there are over 100 references to UIWebView.

1 Like

Got the same mail for my app built with WebViewGold. Updated the app template to the later version using WKWebView technology and Apple is happy again :slight_smile: +1

FYI SDK 35 has now been released.

Just got same warning while submitting ipa based on SDK 35.

Upgraded to SDK 35 and got the same warning as well. Does anyone know when this will be resolved by EXPO, or what steps can be taken to avoid / workaround this issue in the mean time?