Setting up expo client from source

I’m trying to setup the expo client through the setup instructions on the GitHub repo and I’m running into issues. I’m currently on this step:

Make sure you have a JS packager for the root Expo project already running

I’m assuming this means to run exp start at the root of the expo project.

When I do this I receive these log messages:

[exp] Error: Move your “exp” config from package.json to exp.json.
[exp] Error: Problem validating fields in exp.json. See https://docs.expo.io/versions/v24.0.0/guides/configuration.html.
[exp] • Field: slug - ‘slug’ should match pattern “[1]+$”.
[exp] Cannot read property ‘react-native’ of undefined
[exp] TypeError: Cannot read property ‘react-native’ of undefined
at /xdl/src/project/Doctor.js:171:23
at Generator.next ()
at step (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/xdl/build/project/Doctor.js:608:191)
at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/xdl/build/project/Doctor.js:608:437
at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/xdl/build/project/Doctor.js:608:99
at _validatePackageJsonAsync (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/xdl/build/project/Doctor.js:161:18)
at /xdl/src/project/Doctor.js:619:31
at Generator.next ()
at step (/usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/xdl/build/project/Doctor.js:608:191)
at /usr/local/lib/node_modules/exp/node_modules/xdl/build/project/Doctor.js:608:361

Should I add a slug to the config? I get a similar log after adding a slug.

Does “react-native” need to be added as a dependency?

Am I suppose to run exp start from the js directory?

When I running it from the js directory I get these log messages:

[exp] Warning: expo/react-native#exp-latest is not a valid version. Version must be in the form of sdk-x.y.z. Please update your package.json file.
[exp] Warning: expo/react-native#exp-latest is not a valid version. Version must be in the form of sdk-x.y.z. Please update your package.json file.
[exp] Warning: Expo version in package.json does not match sdkVersion in manifest.
[exp]
[exp] If there is an issue running your project, please run npm install in /Users/brianweiser/repos/expo/js and restart.
[exp] Starting React Native packager…
[exp] ENOENT: no such file or directory, open ‘/Users/brianweiser/repos/expo/js/node_modules/react-native/packager/transformer.js’

Do I need to update the js directory project to use same expo sdk version in package.json and app.json?

Does anyone know how I should proceed in setting up the expo client from source?

I’m running node version 7.10.1 and npm version 4.2.0

Thank you for your help.

1. a-zA-Z0-9- ↩︎

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.