Standalone build failed! running expo build:android after sdk34 upgrade

I’m having issues with building an Android standalone app after updating to sdk 34. I am running the expo build:android --release-channel channel-name and I am getting a Standalone build failed! error with this error log:

[stderr] FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.
[stderr] * What went wrong:
[stderr] Execution failed for task ':app:mergeReleaseResources'.
[stderr] > java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: com.android.builder.internal.aapt.v2.Aapt2InternalException: AAPT2 aapt2-3.3.2-5309881-linux Daemon #2: Unexpected error during compile '/app/turtle/workingdir/android/sdk34/android-shell-app/app/src/main/res/drawable-xxxhdpi/shell_launch_background_image.png', attempting to stop daemon.
[stderr]   This should not happen under normal circumstances, please file an issue if it does.
[stderr] * Try:
[stderr] Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.
[stderr] * Get more help at [https://help.gradle.org](https://help.gradle.org/)
[stderr] BUILD FAILED in 1m 45s
Error: ./gradlew exited with non-zero code: 1
at ChildProcess.completionListener (/app/turtle/node_modules/@expo/xdl/node_modules/@expo/spawn-async/build/spawnAsync.js:52:23)

In addition to this issue I am seeing TypeError: asset.downloadAsync is not a function. (In 'asset.downloadAsync()', 'asset.downloadAsync' is undefined) when running it locally, but I am not sure if these issues are directly related, or if anyone else is experiencing this. I started getting these issues after upgrading Expo to sdk 34. Another note: I am able to successfully build on ios.

Hi! I’d make sure you’ve moved to our modularized packages, as the asset.downloadAsync is not a function error messages tells me you aren’t using the proper import syntax:
import { Asset } from 'expo-asset';
and also make sure you run expo install expo-asset to get the package.

You’ll need to do this for most of your Expo APIs, you can read more about it in the release notes for SDK 34

I’ve tried this and unfortunately does not fix the issue I am having with the android builds.
I am not sure if it is related to this too, but I am also seeing this error: The "ExpoNativeModulesProxy" native module is not exported through NativeModules; verify that expo-react-native-adapter's native code is linked properly.