"dependencies": {
    "expo": "~38.0.8",
    "expo-constants": "~9.1.1",
    "expo-notifications": "~0.3.3",
    "expo-permissions": "~9.0.1",
    "expo-status-bar": "^1.0.2",
    "react": "~16.11.0",
    "react-dom": "~16.11.0",
    "react-native": "https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-38.0.2.tar.gz",
    "react-native-web": "~0.11.7"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "@babel/core": "^7.8.6",
    "babel-preset-expo": "~8.1.0"
  },
  "private": true
}

Any Logs In console?

Nope.

Where do I test on?

Android 7 real device
Android 8 emulator
Android 9 emulator

Does it have any special codes?

No I just created the project and it didn’t work.

How to bypass it?

if you can open the expo menu the loading screen goes away after you close the menu.

How to fix it?

I’d love to know too!

Hey @stevemoretz,

I just created a fresh project and it opened on my Galaxy 8 without issue. Looking at your package.json contents, it looks like you have some additional packages installed.

Can you try creating a new project and seeing if it still gets stuck?

Cheers,
Adam

@adamjnav

Sure it was happening before I install anything too,but just like you said I created a new project having the exact situation.

Here’s the untouched package.json.

{
  "main": "node_modules/expo/AppEntry.js",
  "scripts": {
    "start": "expo start",
    "android": "expo start --android",
    "ios": "expo start --ios",
    "web": "expo start --web",
    "eject": "expo eject"
  },
  "dependencies": {
    "expo": "~38.0.8",
    "expo-status-bar": "^1.0.2",
    "react": "~16.11.0",
    "react-dom": "~16.11.0",
    "react-native": "https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-38.0.2.tar.gz",
    "react-native-web": "~0.11.7"
  },
  "devDependencies": {
    "@babel/core": "^7.8.6",
    "babel-preset-expo": "~8.1.0"
  },
  "private": true
}

Here’s my some versions for refrence:

steve@MacBook-Pro ~ % node -v
v14.11.0

steve@MacBook-Pro ~ % npm -v

steve@MacBook-Pro ~ % yarn -v

steve@MacBook-Pro ~ % expo-cli --version

And expo client android app version is 2.16.1.

Which I guess all (expect node js) Are the latest versions. Node js is also the latest possible version given to me by homebrew which I updated yesterday.It’s all fresh and new.

Here’s the end of log I get using yarn android command

Logs for your project will appear below. Press Ctrl+C to exit.

Finished building JavaScript bundle in 21541ms.

Running application on HUAWEI NXT-L29.

And just to clearify I did not have this problem on the last update I was using.It was sdk 36 and the expo client was for 36 also (its latest version supported). And I had to update node js to make it work with sdk 38.It had some error indicating I have to update my node js version.

And to make it even more clear.I have no problems on ios.No problem on android when the loading page goes away by opening and closing the expo menu.

So the only problem is this loading screen not going away for no reason.And going away doing that workaround I mentioned.

1 Like

This is for sure one of those crazy bugs which is hard to catch.Because for no reason it is working today I didn’t change anything.

And I’ve seen other people said the same thing like it started working,it stopped working,in a github issue about this exact problem.

Actually I’ve configued expo-splash-screen forgot about that maybe that fixes it.I’m not sure yet.

I have the same issue on iOS only. I have to often refresh my app in the Expo app because I can’t see the bottom tabs anymore.

It’s really annoying. I’ve heard it has something to do with not using SplashScreen, is that right?

if anyone can share a reproducible example i’d be curious to see

I’ll try to get it reproducible, all I can say is it happens on Expo on iOS (but not in simulator) when I make a change to a file and do a fast-refresh…it will reload the app…count up to “100%” and just hang there, but the app loads in fine. Just now I can’t use the bottom tabs.

@notbrent, would love to help but I really have no idea where to start. It started happening around the time of SDK 39 update with me upgrading the Expo clients…I just upgraded the client again to the latest and it is still happening.

Maybe you could tell me about the code that runs between “100%” and it disappearing so I atleast have some idea where to start looking? Probably some cleanup is not happening? Does it care about deprecation warnings, etc? Any information you give me of the inner workings will help me get to the root of it faster.

the code that runs between that and hiding it is the code in your app, mostly. can you reproduce this in an empty new app?

edit: oh sorry, i think i misunderstood. so if i understand correctly the issue you are encountering is that the bar that shows the download progress does not disappear with the splash screen, correct? and this is happening for you only on ios? (OP is about android)

also, are you sure you are using the latest version of expo client? this should start with 2.17.4

Yes, that is correct. Yes I’m using 2.17.4.

Basically it happens only when it tries to hot reload but not always. So I edit a file, hit “save”, and then the bar shows and when it gets to “100%” it goes away on my simulator, goes away on my Expo android, and stay on my Expo ios…forcing me to do a “shake” and restart of the app to get rid of it.

I fixed this problem by updating expo SDK to 39. Pretty sure it had something to do with a version mismatch. Maybe the newest version of the app is not compatible with SDK 38?

1 Like

My problem happens on Android only and while it’s loading the first time just please use my environment to reproduce this.

i started tracking this here: Sometimes downloading progress indicator does not hide after app loads in Expo client iOS · Issue #10585 · expo/expo · GitHub

i can’t reproduce it, so if someone can provide some reliable repro steps it would be helpful

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.