Trying to complete the flappy bird demo, but THREE.WebGLRenderer is causing problems

I’m using XDE and have my phone connected.

I’ve been able to get other demos to run including the basic “Hello World” and the “Audio Recording Example”.

I was able to get it the flappy birds app to start, however, it refuses to load the basic screen. Here is the message(s) in XDE

THREE.WebGLRenderer 88

2:48:33 PM

▶THREE.WebGLRenderer: OES_texture_float_linear extension not supported.

2:48:35 PM

▶THREE.WebGLRenderer: OES_texture_half_float extension not supported.

2:48:36 PM

▶THREE.WebGLRenderer: OES_texture_half_float_linear extension not supported.

2:48:37 PM

▶THREE.WebGLRenderer: WEBGL_depth_texture extension not supported.

2:48:39 PM

▶THREE.WebGLRenderer: OES_texture_float extension not supported.

2:48:40 PM

▶THREE.WebGLRenderer: ANGLE_instanced_arrays extension not supported.

2:48:42 PM

▶THREE.WebGLRenderer: OES_element_index_uint extension not supported.

2:48:43 PM

▶THREE.WebGLRenderer: OES_standard_derivatives extension not supported.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

@nikki @bacon - we should silence these perhaps! or warn people that they will… get these warnings :sweat_smile:

@vincentk42 - expo doesn’t yet support 100% of the webgl spec, but these warnings aren’t relevant to this example and also to many other apps

@vincentk42 nothing to worry about here, just some things that three.js does in it’s compatibility check.

TL;DR:

@ben made a cool workaround which prevents this from happening, I already updated the Flappy Snack to use it!

There are some API things in WebGL that don’t line up with OpenGL ES (The native version of OpenGL :nerd_face:).
As far as I know this isn’t preventing us from anything, and in the future we could PR three.js to better support EXGL.
Our current solution is to use a filter on console.warn to prevent those specific warnings! We do this through expo-three: ^2.0.7 using something like this:

THREE.suppressExpoWarnings(suppressExpoWarnings: boolean)

import {THREE} from 'expo-three' // <- This manages the global instance of three

class App extends React.Component {
  componentWillMount() {
    THREE.suppressExpoWarnings(true)
  }
  componentWillUnmount() {
    THREE.suppressExpoWarnings(false)
  }
}