Unable to find module for DevMenu using a managed Expo SDK 39 app

1. SDK Version: 39
  2. Platforms(Android/iOS/web/all): iOS

When running the app in an iOS simulator, when I make changes, in the best case live reload is not working and I have to refresh the app again, and in the worst case I get an error “Unable to find module for DevMenu” and I have to close the simulator and relaunch it.

I have created a repo app here: GitHub - pjb3/unable-to-find-module-for-dev-menu: Repo of "Unable to find module for DevMenu" Expo error

I created this app by running expo init my-app using expo-cli 3.27.14 on my Mac running OS 10.15.7. This error did not happen when it was just the blank generated app, did not happen when I added fonts and styled components, but started happening when I added react-navigation.

I would love if someone can help me fix this error because development is very slow having to restart the simulator after almost every change.

I’ve also removed react-navigation in a branch and the problem is still happening: GitHub - pjb3/unable-to-find-module-for-dev-menu at no-react-navigation

I figured this out. It had nothing to do with dependencies, it was the way I was declaring functions. I was using this syntax:

export default () => {

To declare all the components, but it seems that this confuses the reloading functionality. If you instead declare the functions like this:

export default function Component() {

Then it works fine, even the hot reloading.

Glad you got it working, but that’s really weird.
Arrow functions should work fine.

This topic was automatically closed 20 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.