Unable to resolve module....Expo fails to compile every time

Hi,

error

I am running Expo v20.20.1 on MacOS Sierra 10.12.6.

I am very frustrated with Expo as I have been getting the same error for weeks. I’ve tried so many different combinations of things to fix it, but nothing seems to work. Here’s a list of methods I have tried:

1. I downgraded npm to 4.6.1 (expo’s suggestion), deleting node_modules and package.lock, and reinstalling.
  2. I’ve tried using yarn to install packages.
  3. I’ve tried deleting yarn.lock…package.lock… and node_modules and reinstalling.
  4. I’ve tried upgrading/updating brew and reinstalling yarn, and deleting the /usr/local/bin/yarn files.
  5. I’ve tried all the suggestions in the screenshot (clear watchman, delete node_modules, and reset packager cache).

Nothing seems to work, and I have no idea what to do.

For what it’s worth, I also always have this “issue” in Expo:

Warning: ‘react-native’ peer depencency missing. Run npm ls in /Users/mattfewer/dev/react-native/ganja to see full warning.
If there is an issue running your project, please run npm install in /Users/mattfewer/dev/react-native/ganja and restart.

Hey @mattyfew, I’d love to see your package.json and your App.json? can you show those to me? I’m so sorry you’re having this problem.

Hey @jimmylee, here you go:

package.json

{
  "name": "myApp",
  "version": "0.0.0",
  "description": "Hello Expo!",
  "author": "mattyfew",
  "private": true,
  "main": "main.js",
  "dependencies": {
    "expo": "17.0.0",
    "firebase": "^4.0.0",
    "lodash": "^4.17.4",
    "react": "16.0.0-alpha.12",
    "react-native": "https://github.com/expo/react-native/archive/sdk-17.0.0.tar.gz",
    "react-native-elements": "^0.12.2",
    "react-native-router-flux": "^3.39.1",
    "react-native-svg": "^5.1.8",
    "react-navigation": "^1.0.0-beta.11",
    "react-redux": "^5.0.5",
    "redux": "^3.6.0",
    "redux-thunk": "^2.2.0"
  }
}

App.js

import React, { Component } from 'react';
import { View, Text } from 'react-native';
import { Provider } from 'react-redux';
import { createStore, applyMiddleware } from 'redux';
import firebase from 'firebase';

import reducers from './reducers';
import ReduxThunk from 'redux-thunk';
import Router from './Router';

class App extends Component {
    componentWillMount(){
        const config = {
            apiKey : "xxx",
            authDomain : "xxx",
            databaseURL : "xxx",
            projectId : "xxx",
            storageBucket : "xxx",
            messagingSenderId : "xxx"
        };

firebase.initializeApp(config);
    }

render() {
        const store = createStore(reducers, {}, applyMiddleware(ReduxThunk));

return (
            <Provider store={store}>
                <Router />
            </Provider>
        )
    }
}

export default App;

I replaced my values for config with xxxxxs for privacy reasons.

Is there a reason you’re using react-native-svg instead of Expo.Svg? https://docs.expo.io/versions/v17.0.0/sdk/svg.html

@mattyfew, I think @davepack’s instinct is right, because that library cannot be used while attached with Expo react-native-svg, since there is no SVG code in your app right now you might as well just take that library out.

@davepack @jimmylee No reason, I think I was just testing it out and forgot to remove it. I didn’t know you need to use the Expo.svg module. I will keep that in mind in the future.

However, I removed react-native-svg from my package.json, deleted node_modules, reinstalled with npm v4.6.1, and I still getting the same big red error that I originally posted :sob:.

@davepack @jimmylee Is there any possible solution to this? I’m at a complete standstill. Only option I can think of is to completely rewrite my application without Expo, which I really don’t want to do.

Have you tried clearing all the caches? React Native has several caches that could be possible failure points: How to clear the React Native packager

Can you also paste the contents of app.json?

@mattyfew Hi Matty, did you get the solution to this? I’m currently experiencing the same problem :cold_sweat:

Hey @isaackdamian are you running the same SDK version as him? or the latest? Can you tell us a few more details about your project so we can help you resolve?