Unresolved reference in expo-permissions BackgroundLocationRequester kt

I am working on an ejected workflow and was trying to remove the background location permissions using app.json android/permissions key-pair. Before doing that, both the build and the app was working fine. After I added them "permissions": [ "SYSTEM_ALERT_WINDOW", "READ_PHONE_STATE", "USE_FINGERPRINT", "USE_BIOMETRIC", "VIBRATE", "MODIFY_AUDIO_SETTINGS", "ACCESS_COARSE_LOCATION", "ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION", "CAMERA", "RECORD_AUDIO", "READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE", "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE", "WRITE_SETTINGS" ]
and removed the node_modules folder as well as the package-lock.json file. After this i ran npm install and then rebuild project using android studio, however I get this error:
`

Task :expo-permissions:compileDebugKotlin FAILED
e: E:\Work\pax-app\node_modules\expo-image-picker\node_modules\expo-permissions\android\src\main\java\expo\modules\permissions\requesters\BackgroundLocationRequester.kt: (12, 50): Unresolved reference: R
e: E:\Work\pax-app\node_modules\expo-image-picker\node_modules\expo-permissions\android\src\main\java\expo\modules\permissions\requesters\BackgroundLocationRequester.kt: (19, 52): Unresolved reference: R
e: E:\Work\pax-app\node_modules\expo-image-picker\node_modules\expo-permissions\android\src\main\java\expo\modules\permissions\requesters\BackgroundLocationRequester.kt: (40, 36): Unresolved reference: R
`

Can someone please tell me what am I doing wrong?

Hey @sheharyar566, now that you are on the bare workflow you’ll want to follow this guide for removing permissions from the manifest: https://docs.expo.io/versions/v41.0.0/sdk/permissions/#excluding-android-permissions-in-bare-workflow

Cheers,
Adam

@sheharyar566 The issue for this specific error message most likely is, that you are still using Android SDK 29 in your android/build.gradle after upgrading to the newest version of unimodules. For reference see the unimodules installation guide that was updated just now.

1 Like